• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

RCA 151 'scope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi all,
It's time I have to repair my antique RCA 151 1" oscilloscope. I can't seem to find anything on the web.

Inside it's marked TVM-175, made in Montreal, Canada. It's a real oldy!

Any tips or info would be appreciated.

-Chris

Attachments

• rca 151(small).jpg
    rca 151(small).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 184
Take some toothpaste, shine the old girl up, use some brown laquer on the strap, get some neon green fingernail polish and paint a trace on the tube, cut one of power leads on the inside, set it in the livingroom, convince the wife it IS art, get 12 Molsen's and call it good.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And the bottom of the chassis

All I have done so far was to clean the controls, this is the way I got it otherwise. It has been serviced before.

It uses a 913 display tube, a pair of 6C6, an 80 (of course!) and an 885 gas thyratron triode.

Most of the capacitors are original, I want to replace only the ones I have to. (against my own normal advice). I will clean up the previous work. I had though I had gone over this before completely, wrong.

-Chris

Attachments

• underside (small).jpg
    underside (small).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 163
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi poobah,
Nah, it did work. The 913 is good. I want it to work again.

It's the other half of my tube hobby that doesn't make noise. :D I do have to clean it up. The knobs are about to go into the ultrasonic cleaner. I will use a toothbrush (gently) on the front panel.

This was built in the late 30's I think. It deserves some respect. Only because it still exists if nothing else.

-Chris

BTW poobah, quick response!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi poobah,
If I can get this fella working I may buy that manual. First I need to fix it. Looks like someone just got it going, then I cleaned the controls.

Hi Hugo,
If you can dig anything up on this, I'll be very impressed! It's an oldie. So, YES! Thank you very much!!

The resistor does look burned in the picture. It's a 2K, measures 2.13K. Not bad for the age. Sadly, I believe you are right. Many paper caps that may be bad. All kinds of soldering. I just wanted to leave it as stock as possible.

I do have to clean up the replacement electrolytics.

It's all my fault. I should never have dug it out. Ignorance is bliss! :(

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Hugo,
Thank you kindly sir. I have already sent an email with some positive remarks back. We shall see. Poobah's link worked fine for me (Netscape 7.2), so there may be a browser issue.

Poobah,
Thank you very much for your link. We will see what becomes of it. You never know ....

Geek,
Cool, see if it's still there. If it's not expensive it'll make a really neat edition to your test bench. I enjoy earlier instrumentation. You can get a feel for the state of the servicing art back then by using these. I am hearing dates of 1936 ~ 1938 for these. Since I have radios from the same era, this becomes very interesting.

I feel that understanding the early art will give me a much better understanding of the current art. I guess I want to know where "we" came from in the world of electronics.

-Chris

Well Chris,

I think Mr. Netlist hit the REAL jackpot with names & addresses. Hope somebody pans out for you.

If memory serves me right... all those wax caps will have drifted about 20-50% high over time.... might not matter to you. I have actually ripped the leads out of each end of those things and taken the foils out with drill bit (slowly)... then slip in an Orange Drop with the leads extended and fill it up the wax again...

You can put on some gloves and wipe the goods ones with a towel and boiling water... makes 'em look new!

good luck... I let ya know if/when that guy emails back... I stilll haven't gotten an "undeliverable" yet... with spam filters these days, it hard to email friends sometimes.

Dont y'all just HATE SPAMMERS?????

I love UPS & FEDEX; the only time they bring me something... it's something I WANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi poobah,
Normally I would have thought of that. Duuuh! :rolleyes: Thank you for reminding me of the obvious option. I'll recap the entire unit in that case. I will only change out of tolerance resistors.

Poston Drake has offered to snail mail me the information. This is a very kind gesture. The wonderful people willing to help each other sight unseen is very heartening. The same can be said for the members of this site. It makes me happy to be a member of the human race. :grouphug:

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.