• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Where to find tube schematic and footprint models

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am making a new hybrid amp design, and I couldn't seem to find any tube schematic files or footprints.

I don't know if I have been searching in all the wrong places or whatnot.

Specifically I am looking for 6SN7 footprints and or schematics. The footprints are really the most important however.

I am making the design in KiCAD although Eagle would also work because I can convert them.

Is there any big library with all of these?

Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Apparently not, I use both OrCad/Pads and KiCad for my tube projects..

I would recommend you download the free version of library expert, you can start with some TH footprints and modify them to work.

PCBL - PCB Library Expert

Once created you can export to KiCad, works quite well. You can make minor tweaks as needed in the parts manager once you import into pcbnew.

The full version is so expensive that it will be out of the reach of most hobbyists, but the free version can do quite a lot.

There are tube schematic symbols in KiCad and ones online that you can download. I don't like them and tend to modify them quite a bit.

I don't use octals in any current PCB designs otherwise I would post here.

With the current version of KiCad having a selection of valves - does anyone have an expanded library already built?

Just the same way - specifcally 6SN7 and 6AS7.

The library has the following foot-prints, but not the defintions - including Octal.

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 13.07.39.png

I've created a 6SN7 copying the ECC88 and changing the footprint to octal. The ECC88 has 3 units (A,B &C) corresponding to triode 1 (A), triode 2 (B) and heater (C). I've also shifted around the pin designations given the pins are different.

Last edited:
Joined 2020
Paid Member
I am making a new hybrid amp design, and I couldn't seem to find any tube schematic files or footprints.

I don't know if I have been searching in all the wrong places or whatnot.

Specifically I am looking for 6SN7 footprints and or schematics. The footprints are really the most important however.

I am making the design in KiCAD although Eagle would also work because I can convert them.

Is there any big library with all of these?

Thanks.

If socket blueprint is needed, google search '8 pin octal socket dimensions'.
This brings up images of many different blueprints.
Jim

I'm getting started making pc boards for the last month or so, I've found it much easier and way more more accurate to make my own tube socket footprints. As long as you have a sample socket and a digital caliper its real easy. Measure the pin to pin diameter. For a 9 pin noval simply create a 10 sided polygon of the diameter needed, put on snap mode and drag your pads to snap onto each vertex. Then delete one of the pads. Delete the polygon. Now save the footprint with only the pads. Also you can measure the size of the pins in order to get the pad holes perfect for that brand of socket. I'm using a $49 program called Sprint Layout to make my boards. Different brands of sockets have different circle diameters, so this is a no-compromise approach you get a perfect footprint for the socket brand you want to use.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.