• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6l6 push pull output question(s)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bypassing tone stage is just to diagnose where the problems are. If distortion/low volume are gone, the problem are likely at the switch contacts and/or the ceramic caps that were soldered on to them.

Personally for old amp, I like keeping the tone controls to preserve the old sounds. However, if you want modern Hi-Fi sound or use it as your main amp afterward, I would remove the first stage and the tone stack. It should have enough gain for iphone/ehco type line devices. How about adding an extra set of RCA input which by-pass the tone stack.

I found it!!

I feel deeply ashamed.. In rebuilding the amp I forgot to connect the anode pin of the first triode after the tone stack to the input pin of the phase inverter!!
I thought I checked the voltage on pin 4 but apparently did not and just assumed it was the same as pin 2... (assumption is the mother of all **** ups)

Connecting them increased the volume a lot and improved the sound quality and reduced the hum...

Pfff. Very happy. Amazing that the amp still produced reasonable sound without the connection...

Thanks for all the help!

BW,
Bas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.