• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Getting Started On RCA Console I picked up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another possible approach. Should give somewhat better distortion due to including the VAS in the loop. I hesitate to include the OPT due to unknown quality.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PA_CathFB_Schem.png
    PA_CathFB_Schem.png
    70.6 KB · Views: 243
  • PA_CathFB_Resp.png
    PA_CathFB_Resp.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 238
  • PA_CathFB_Dist.png
    PA_CathFB_Dist.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 178
I don't know the Z of the OPTs in the console but for sims I used an inductance ratio of 1250:1 which if I am doing it right gives 5k load for 4 ohm speakers yet I can't get more than about 2.5 Watts before clipping (4.25Vpk). Output tube is biased for just over 11W at idle. ???

Kind of take that back. Can get almost 4W with the cathode FB.

Last edited:
Grrr.

OK, this is crazy. Both the PA and the phono sim fine separately but connect them together and the intermediate signals go wacko. If I short the input to the PA (U2) and disconnect it from the CF output the signal at the output of the CF and the signal at the output of the shapping circuit are perfect. When I hook up to the PA section it goes nutso. This trace is the output of the filter section at the grid stopper of the second stage.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Removing the cathode stopper seems to help some but I still get this at the input to the PA. Is it mayby a reaction to the FB in the PA VAS cathode circuit?

attachment.php

New info. At least a part of it was that I forgot to put in volume control and was overloading PA. Cleans up a lot when I do that. Still have some hunting inside the FB loop but probably can get it right if I fiddle enough. Need more input headroom to PA and probably lower FB ratio.

Attachments

• Offset_Output.png
    Offset_Output.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Offset_Schem.png
    Offset_Schem.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Offset_PA_Input.png
    Offset_PA_Input.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Plate to plate seems to be easier to control so I am playing with that some. Low level signal gives nice stable output but in between the last two stages and the input to the penultimate stage both show wandering voltage. It is not easy to see in the input voltage but it is there (a few 10ths of a volt). I wouldn't be surprised to see some unusual wave forms in between but why the wandering DC offset?

Red is input to PA, Blue is input to 6BQ5, Green is OPT secondary.

P.S. This is about 15dB FB.

Attachments

• Offset_Schem_OrigRH.png
    Offset_Schem_OrigRH.png
    55 KB · Views: 136
  • Offset_Output_OrigRH.png
    Offset_Output_OrigRH.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited by a moderator:
This could be done with the existing sockets on the original amp chassis. There would be plenty of B+ and heater power to supply an outboard phono amp. I am a little surprised at the HF loss in the final gain stage (I presume this is Mr. Miller showing up) but -3dB is still at 30kHz which is still an octave and a half higher than I can hear. :)

I could try some NFB around the last stage or some other tubes. I have 12AY7, 12AX7, and 12AU7 on hand. The KT88 power amp is a little short on gain but I suspect even the 12AU7 would have plenty of gain for this application.

Attachments

• PreampActiveTone.png
    PreampActiveTone.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 46
  • PreampActiveToneOutput.png
    PreampActiveToneOutput.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 46
  • PreampActiveToneDist.png
    PreampActiveToneDist.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Further refining the concept Take a look at the chassis.

565939d1471812355-getting-started-rca-console-i-picked-up-amytoptrans.jpg

The chassis has an octal socket for the rectifier and a connector for an optional demux. I could use silicon rectifiers and use the octal socket for the output gain stage using a 6SN7 and use the demux connection point for another 9 pin mini. So I could have two 9 pins for the tone control, the octal for the final gain and two 9 pins for a sub-woofer crossover and output. Since I would not be using the 5V winding for the rectifier it could be used for a cooling fan for the power amp as the PT on the PA chassis runs a little on the warm side.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.