• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spud Amplifier with 6E5P Tube

...the sound of this amp is so good, you would not believe. Every detail is very clean and precious.

I really wanted this to work for me, but I tried this tube in a spud amp and found it harsh sounding. I used grid stoppers and decoupled heater winding to gnd - usual precautions to have no oscillations. I didn't see any r.f. hash on the CRO either. If I did something wrong then I don't know what it was ? :confused:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/280167-yukon-gold-spud-amp.html

it's easy to make a Spud amp but to make it better than a conventional two stage amp is not the same story . but it"s possible :)

these are my finding:

first thing due to the gain of the tube the power supply must be very silent same as you would build for a Line stage . PIO or oil motor cap will help in for the last cap of your filter.
2: elevating AC heater or DC heater will help smoothing things too.
3: use the better output transformer you can get
as you will do for a 2A3 or 300B .
4: prefer a grid choke than a grid resistor ( the low dcr of the choke will help to keep the bias stable when you will push the tube)
5: don't push the tube to it"s max you will have more power but harsh sounding.
6: prefer battery grid bias or schootky bias to resistor cathode bias.

if it does"t work for you than build a 2A3 amp more difficult too make a bad one :)

Hi pieroh,
at conrad - Cree C3D2060F.
Later i used standard self bias resistor + bypass cap. The cap was the special - Vishay 128 sal-rpm - 47µF - 68µF, 6.3V - 10V.
Great bass, dynamics and very transparent. Better than all film caps i have tried. In Germany at distrelec.
But the lithium battery in serie with grid from juanitox can be even better. No experience.
I don't use the spud amp anymore - no evolution.
Good luck Johann

Many thanks Johann!
I´m suprised that SiC diodes are available at CONRAD in Germany ;-)
I will try them out!
cheers
Peter

Great tube great amp great job I love it love spuds and am overwhelmed and impressed with simplicity and simple things they make stuff more pure and enjoyable I build spuds every day and have a breadboard in my bedroom tomorrow I plan on building a 4 parallel ecc85 spud and one of these days use one of those dht low voltage pentodes as a spud love the way a ecc81 opens up and may do something with it also use the 6sn7gta a lot but feel it doesn't have the atmospheric warmth I desire plan on building a parafeed or normal opt preamp out of it as Sakuma said powerful lungs make powerful vocals and I guess this pre would be a powerful pair of lungs for some nice spud but parafeed or straight opt

Here is my breadboard of the 6E5P amplifier:

Attachments

• 6e5p Amp.jpg
    6e5p Amp.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 293
I built the amp from the schematics from post #2. I used 5K output transformers because I did not have any 2.5K transformers. 4 ohm Braun L200 speakers and a Bottlehead Quickie preamp are used. I have twenty hours on it so far and it sounds great, not too bad for a low parts count amp with $4 tubes. Output is a little more than a watt.

Here is my breadboard of the 6E5P amplifier:

I built the amp from the schematics from post #2. I used 5K output transformers because I did not have any 2.5K transformers. 4 ohm Braun L200 speakers and a Bottlehead Quickie preamp are used. I have twenty hours on it so far and it sounds great, not too bad for a low parts count amp with $4 tubes. Output is a little more than a watt.
Looks nice! I've never tried to build a spud amp but I do have some 6E5Ps around that I've never done anything with, so perhaps I'll try this one sometime.

I don't mean to nitpic and it's really just a philosophical question but, if you're using a preamp that has gain, is it still considered a spud amp just because the input tubes are in a different chassis?

I said I've never tried to build a spud, but I inadvertently did build one. I modded a little Voice of Music SE 6BQ5 amp that normally uses a 12AX7 input tube that's mounted on a separate chassis. I eliminated the connection to the 12AX7, along with the global NFB, so that I could use the amp section with whatever preamp I wanted.

I left it in pentode to maximize the power output and added local NFB. I have no way to measure the power output but I assume it's probably in the 3 to 4 watt range. Whatever it is, it's enough for me.

What surprised me is that the amp works very nicely with no preamp - either a passive preamp (simple volume control) or using the volume control on my computer to stream to the amp using an Airport Express.

Volume level is a bit lower than it is when using a preamp with gain but it sounds wonderful.