Safety Alert - UK Yaqin users - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2014, 03:22 PM   #1
Hi_Q is offline Hi_Q  England
diyAudio Member

Default Safety Alert - UK Yaqin users

Good reasons for dumping the Yaqin power lead if you live in the UK - yes they come with many Yaqin models and are seriously dangerous! Please Yaqin Design Engineers if you read this - CHANGE THE DESIGN!

The first picture shows the Live wire (Brown) soldered, without a fuse, directly to the the the - wait for it - the N or Neutral Pin!
The Neutral wire (Blue) is soldered, without a fuse, directly to the L or Live Pin!
The wire is extremely thin, you would want to have a 1 Amp maximum fuse in the plug top if only you could fit one.
The second picture shows the dreaded sleeved Earth or Grounding Pin. There is no guarantee that a sleeved Earth Pin will actually make a ground connection in a standard UK power socket. The Earth Pin must be a solid pin connection all the way from tip to plug body!
ONLY the L and N Pins MUST, be sleeved.

Please Yaqin - in the UK all of our power sockets are fed by a 30 Amp Ring Main system. It is the fusible plugs that make the whole system safe. With your present power lead, a short circuit in the equipment it feeds will result in a 100% fire due to the thin cable now taking 30 Amps and will without doubt light up very quickly!

The Green Ground wire (Which should be Yellow with a Green stripe) is very thin and must be able to withstand a fault current to blow the fuse, if only one was fitted.

This is such a dangerous cable that it should be cut into pieces and thrown away without any further thought.

For our friends in the States, if you use this cable you would normally connect the Brown wire to where you would fit the Black wire (Live or Hot wire).
The Blue wire should go to where you would fit the White wire (Neutral).

At least the socket end appears to be wired the right way round with the Brown wire going to L but given the general build standard, it may be wise to check this out with your multimeter or continuity tester.
Better still, bin the cable anyway as the wire thickness and general quality is way below par.
Keep Safe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring of yaqin plug.JPG (88.0 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg earth pin yaqin plug.JPG (86.0 KB, 532 views)
Old 24th May 2014, 05:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Where is the BS1363A stamp? If there isn't one - Don't use it because it has no fuse and doesn't meet safety standards!
Old 24th May 2014, 05:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Really? You guys expect a cheap Chinese-brand tube amp to comply with UK safety regulations?

There are probably things inside the chassis that are more frightening than the non-compliant power cord.

You get what you pay for.
Old 24th May 2014, 05:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
They are not allowed to be sold in the UK with this type of power cable. It is against our safety standards and our Trading Standards Officers will prosecute the traders selling them and destroy the dangerous equipment.
Old 24th May 2014, 05:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
They are not allowed to be sold in the UK with this type of power cable. It is against our safety standards and our Trading Standards Officers will prosecute the traders selling them and destroy the dangerous equipment.
But are they sold by a legitimate legal importer? Or directly online from China?

Not sure about the UK, but in the US if I buy something online from outside the country, I am the legal importer, so it is my responsibility.

I seriously doubt that they would comply with safety standards in the US or EU either. Probably not ROHS either.
Old 24th May 2014, 05:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmillett View Post
Really? You guys expect a cheap Chinese-brand tube amp to comply with UK safety regulations?

There are probably things inside the chassis that are more frightening than the non-compliant power cord.

You get what you pay for.
This is very true. In my Ming-Da there was a non X2 rated capacitor across the mains switch. It was the cheap dark brown type. It shorted and the amp would not turn off. I am lucky it didn't go up in flames!
Old 25th May 2014, 12:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have tested one of those mains leads and they are rated at 1 amp maximum.
Even the wires inside the cable are flimsy. They are OK for wiring inside a chassis but not for anything that has movement.
The testing I did was written up at the time. You may need to join the forum to see it though.
• View topic - Re: Electricals purchased via the internet. Safety.
Old 25th May 2014, 12:36 PM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Send your concerns about the importer to your local trading standards.
Old 27th May 2014, 07:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

As a child my older relatives would say crazy things to me:

-Don't lean against the car door, it can pop open!
-Don't touch that, it will shock you!

...and so on. Modern developed nations did not have issues with products at that time, they did in the early 20th C.

Chinese production is now similar.

I live in Western China.

When I buy something,a moto, bicycle, electronics, it requires a rebuild, retorque, repaint, and check of parts, fit, finish, etc. It's not the same as purchasing a finished good in the EU. Appliances are measured for issues. I do this for friends as well.

Pocket bikes require a more or less strip down and rebuild and re-hardware from the ground up including a carb modification. This is *before* break-in periods.

Many - *many* - consumer electronics from and within China have low-level DC or AC on the chassis at all times. This can be measured (1-3V) and felt at times. 3 DAC, two amps, my refrigerator, to name a few.

I have all of my appliances on ground interrupts and I treat anything electronic as a potential high voltage to ground situation.

You engineers would throw fits if I posted photos of residential distribution transformers here. They are at eye-level on the sidewalk, unsecured, panels are open, all metal is heavily rusted and corroded, wires draped and hanging all over. If one had the desire, it would be trivial to place ones hands inside the junction box and have a 1 on 1 with some high amperage municipal 240v to kVA level.

I treat all metal structures for these as though they are live and walk around.

This is changing as tall transmission lines are installed in cities and the power is raised 25+metres up.

I walk around those metal poles, too... ;-0

..and then there was that 10cm gas main break 2 years back...

Last edited by miragem3i; 27th May 2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 28th May 2014, 01:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The unit I bought was very cheap and I was not even expecting it to come with a power cable.
I bought replacement one with a proper fused plug from a flea market.

Hide this!Advertise here!