• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to calculate, the output impedance of a tube with grounded grid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello,
for ccs, I paired the BC547C, and with resistance 4330ohm and 12volt, they should be just below 2mA., for the greatest gain (if I understood correctly, the right setup ccs), when I used it, I had much the same voltage and mA.
With ccs without high voltage, but with cdplayer on,
I have 4.53volt to the dac, then the voltage drops 2.5Volt with HV.
The ccs, have the advantage of holding the tube and the bass is better kept, but with respect to resistor, you lose a lot of headroom and tonal quality, which is why, I went back to resistor.

For the heatsink,
I used a silpad, and a very thin layer of goose,
in the diagram of the regulator indicated dissipation 14watt would require a much larger than I used heatsink.
This is the first time I use these regulators, it is very convenient to vary the tension by turning a knob, I add that I have a better sound with Salas as posted to No. 16, but I believe the regulator should Salas less heat, because after a while the sound is not as precise as it is a blur.
Maybe I should ask the question directly to Mr. Salas, because I do not know how to change the values ​​of resistors.
If I turn my volume control at maximum, the peculiarity of these two regulators is that they emit a kind of white noise that is quite disturbing, something that was not so obvious with a simple psu with crc.

Wa2ise in the past, I visited yours site several times because I was interested in mounting with subminiature tube, finally I made a grounded grid instead of common cathode follower, it may be good solution as I see it is the most used.
Have you tried the grounded grid?, as in yours diagram, the grid is directly connected to the ground, if I do this in my setup, there is more noise than music, that's why I put a ferrite with 1 turn (it gives 1.9uH), with 1 turn, you do not hear too much attenuation in high frequency, with more laps, attenuation is audible.
I would try an optoisolator between the grid and ground, but I did not find any pattern to be able to do.

Stefano

Have you tried the grounded grid?, as in yours diagram, the grid is directly connected to the ground, if I do this in my setup, there is more noise than music, that's why I put a ferrite with 1 turn (it gives 1.9uH), with 1 turn, you do not hear too much attenuation in high frequency, with more laps, attenuation is audible.

Stefano

I wonder if the tube is going into a supersonic oscillation? Maybe a grid stopper may be needed? I reran my simulation, and the jaggies I had dismissed went away with a 1K grid stopper. Your 1.9uH inductor also did it. 1uH also seems to work in simulation. Here the tube doesn't "know" that it's a grounded grid. Your ferrite bead looks to be suppressing this oscillation.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hello wa2ise,

I did a listening test between the resistor and the ferrite, the noise level is the same, but to listen, ferrite is better.
On the other hand, I am writing 1.9uH when I made the measurement, I forgot to connect the outlets, "sense" of my rcl meter, for measuring small values​​, in fact it is 1.3uH.
At the same time, I tried other ferrite 0.9uH, but I can not hear the difference.
I also changed the IRF840 by 2sk2610, the temperature dropped to 60 ° Celsius, it seems a little more normal, the sound seems to me a little better with more depth, perhaps due to lower Tr. output capacitance.
For noise, I doubled the filter capacitors, it's better, but not enough, these regulators are fine, but apparently, need to be heavily filtered, so I filtered more, or make a capacitor multiplier.
If I hear a lot of noise, they are due to my speakers that are relatively large and sensitive (similar to jbl 5674), but the four woofers in parallel,it is also a heavy load for the amp.

Stefano

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.