• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are Balance Controls Still Necessary?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Titans etc.

I have a friend who heard the Slimlines and Titans. Seems his opinion is that the Titans had a problem or two, sonic wise. But take that with a grain of salt.

Don't need DHTs and SE amps to get great sound. Since I am a manufacturer I can't say a whole lot, except the 2A3 amp I heard a few weeks ago (good review by TNT) didn't sound that great on the Slimlines. The amp would have sounded really bad on the Fostex speakers (cabinet designed by Fostex I am told) my acquaintance had (went down to hear the Fostex's at his house).

Agreed

FD, or anyone else, I wonder if you have had any listening sessions with System Audio, particularly the 1270 or 1280 models?

I changed the internal wire to another brand (they were using zip cord), a couple of caps and resistors. The response seems really flat, quick, dynamic, and the bass, well, I can play Titanic soundtrack, deep bass and all and all seems pretty good.
Wonder what anyone elses impression is.

Thanks.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

FD, or anyone else, I wonder if you have had any listening sessions with System Audio, particularly the 1270 or 1280 models?

Sorry, Steve I haven't heard those speakers yet.

Eric,

I agree that a mute switch is useful.
Individual left/right mute switches aren't necessary if you use individual stepped attenuators IMHO.

Cheers,;)

The ones I have are called M-N tapers and half of the pot is conductive, each channel in opposite directions. So when the pot is set at midpoint, there is no resistance in the circuit. Turing the pot increases the resistance for the channel you want to attenuate without affecting the other channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.