• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are Balance Controls Still Necessary?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would be most grateful for your opinions about the need for balance controls.

I have never built any audio equipment without a balance control somewhere, but most of this work was done many years ago.

It seems to me that today, with the consistency of the equipment and so forth, it might be possible to skip balance controls entirely. I know that some manufacturers do this.

I'm working on a tube preamp and I'll be using a stepped attenuator, so the volume control should be very well balanced. It may be that the amp topology is highly relevant. If so, I will post my tentative design.

I have some noble balance controls with M-N tapers that work perfectly, but even so, I'd like to eliminate the extra work and space requirements.

Thanks very much for your help. I searched a bit and didn't find a discussion about this, but if there is, please point me to it.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

and a bit of channel imbalance doesn't bother me. But then again, I'm not anal about imaging either.

Oh boy....

I don't need a balance control, it can only degrade the sound but I sure as hell expect equal gain from both channels.

After musicality, imaging means everything to me, otherwise you could just as well built a PA system...

IOW Alex, you don't need to worry...

It may be that the amp topology is highly relevant.

Line, phono? What kind of gain are we looking at here?

Cheers,;)

It's a simple line-stage that will convert unbalanced to balanced so that I can drive power amps that take a balanced input. Since many CD players these days can put out more than .5Vp I only need a gain of two to get the 1Vp that I need to drive the power amps. In fact, if it weren't for the balanced requirement, I could possibly even use a simple passive control. OTOH, I want to experiment some with the preamp stage and may build a few different kinds before this is all over.

I know that balanced o/p CD players are available, but none of the ones that I've seen are in my price range.

It uses a simple split load phase inverter and some follwers. Nothing special at all except that I'll probably include a tone control stage that can be completely swithed out.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

If you experience balance problems, I doubt you will...you can always adapt the stepped attenuator to closer tolerance steps at the positions you most frequently listen.

Also, it wouldn't be that hard to put a xformer at the CDP output IMHO...

I like to tackle the problem at the source ISO using a bandaid...no offense, just an idea.

Cheers,;)

Haven't used a "balance control" for a long time. It does seem daft to add something that may degrade performance in any way. However, a preamp that I have, does it in a way that does not:
As well as the volume control, each channel has another attenuator that is detented at 0dB. it is therefore possible to reduce the gain (for testing image position etc), but in normal operation, the signal passes straight through.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

OK, I'm biting. Do you have a design for a balanced line tone stack?

Not within reach but how hard can it be?

Basically it's a doubled up SE stack really...keeping in mind impedances and Miller effects it can't be that difficult to figure out.

I've barred tone controls from my audio vocabulary decennia ago...dunno what these are good for?

Cheers,;)

I don't know how hard it is, but I've given it a little thought and haven't come up with a design yet. Combining SE designs seems like it would require double the number of pots, but I may be missing something.

I know that many people don't like tone controls, but I like to have the option because I often use it. That's why I make it so I can switch them out along with their associated gain stage.

runeight said:
I don't know how hard it is, but I've given it a little thought and haven't come up with a design yet. Combining SE designs seems like it would require double the number of pots, but I may be missing something.

I know that many people don't like tone controls, but I like to have the option because I often use it. That's why I make it so I can switch them out along with their associated gain stage.

I'm not a great fan of tone controls, but in this instance, I'd probably go SE (for simplicity) with a Tx at the ouut to give balance, and isolation.

If you want to do something differential, apply the tone controls bridged between phases; one set of pots and not extra cctry over std diff gain stages.

fdegrove said:
Oh boy....

I don't need a balance control, it can only degrade the sound but I sure as hell expect equal gain from both channels.

And I do have equal gain. However there are a lot of discs in my collection that have a volume imbalance between the channels, and I'm not going to complicate/degrade my TVC based 'control unit' to add in a balance control, nor do I let the imbalance get in the way of music I enjoy.

After musicality, imaging means everything to me, otherwise you could just as well built a PA system...

But I don't consider it that important. It's a nice affect but one I see is ultimately fruitless to pursue. When I lock in all the ther aspects of my system's performance, the imaging comes of it's own, but it's not an aspect I doggedly pursue. Personally, I would much rather listen to a single mono fullrange system (dynamically and FR) than a set of mini monitors with superb imaging, and all the dynamic expression of a wet fart.

I want to know why they're on stage rather than where they are on it.

I'm not a great fan of tone controls, but in this instance, I'd probably go SE (for simplicity) with a Tx at the ouut to give balance, and isolation.

Yes, maybe better than what I've been thinking.

If you want to do something differential, apply the tone controls bridged between phases; one set of pots and not extra cctry over std diff gain stages.

Brett, I' ve noodled on this some, but I haven't figured out how to do it. If you've got a way, I would really like to know. Even if I don't build it, this problem has me stumped.

Or use stereo/dual pots per channel if you must....

This is what I came up with too, but I'm not fond of it.

I know, I should quit smoking too...

Frank, you're a gem.

Originally posted by runeight

Brett, I' ve noodled on this some, but I haven't figured out how to do it. If you've got a way, I would really like to know. Even if I don't build it, this problem has me stumped.

I've always worked them out (and I haven't done it for a loooong time*) the same way I would for a 'balanced L' or 'U' attenuator, but with the components being impedances not resistances. All the designs I did previously were cut only, not boost, and for more than one frequency band, it requires a bit of juggling of component values. Simulating it should bring some better results.

http://www.uneeda-audio.com/pads/

I still think the SE with OPT is the best option, esp if your source is SE.

*used in a bass amp.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

However there are a lot of discs in my collection that have a volume imbalance between the channels,

Not so here, unless these are worn out records I'd bought second hand...

I don't want to sound pedantic on this but ever since I started using tangential tonearms this channel balance problem magically disappeared.
Anti-skating? I don't know...

It's a nice affect but one I see is ultimately fruitless to pursue. When I lock in all the ther aspects of my system's performance, the imaging comes of it's own, but it's not an aspect I doggedly pursue.

Well, if the spatial clues weren't recorded properly in the first place then no, no system's going to bring them back.

To properly render the ones that were recorded you'd need a system that is at least phase coherent within the recorded frequency in the first place and preferably way beyond.

I would much rather listen to a single mono fullrange system (dynamically and FR) than a set of mini monitors with superb imaging, and all the dynamic expression of a wet fart.

Brings us back to musicality, doesn't it?

But what if one could have all of the above combined, bar the wet fart?

No need to believe me but I heard systems exactly like that 15 years ago already...systems based around open baffles, horns the size of a small room, DHT triodes that predated me at least ten years and so on...

Systems that, all things considered were flawed too but made music...
All of which has become out of reach of the mere mortal....

Me? I can understand why some us go back to the basics; music is meant to be something to enjoy, not something to ponder about.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.