"Bypass caps" and their effect on perceived sound - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2012, 11:00 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to yagoolar Send a message via Skype™ to yagoolar
I meant materials used in caps, not schematics.
PS. I'd love to read those works.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:15 PM   #22
Rush is offline Rush  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagoolar View Post
I meant materials used in caps, not schematics.
PS. I'd love to read those works.
I still bypass the caps as in the article. Others just use .47 and .1 uF, probably due to cost.
Try it, you can always remove them and let us know your findings.
I built a regulated supply for my Mac Mini, then added these caps to output and yes even on a computer you can hear an improvement.
I believe you ca do a search for the article, it was also published somewhere else.
Rush
Old 8th October 2012, 11:22 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to yagoolar Send a message via Skype™ to yagoolar
Deal. I am finishing my amp. I will let you know after I add suggested caps to PSU.
Old 8th October 2012, 11:27 PM   #24
balerit is offline balerit  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush View Post
No it hasn't changed. Power supplies haven't changed at all.
Yes it is still Valid. Folks keep reinventing the same thing, calling it new. These guys put time into this and they are engineers. Their work is documented.
Try it.
I agree, there is nothing new, my work is based on 1950's technology. Also read the work done by John Lynsley-Hood, especially with bypass caps across the diodes in the power supply. In fact my power supply for my moscode comes from that era and I have never seen anything similar anywhere else.
Mac
Old 8th October 2012, 11:27 PM   #25
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

On another thread I talked about the issues, in particular what the spacing of film cap values should be, this summarises it: Mundorf M-Cap Supreme as bypass cap?.

If you use the "wrong" combination of values many times you'll get away with it by virtue of having enough resistance in the leads and wiring hooking it together to damp impedance resonances. But not always ...

Frank
Old 8th October 2012, 11:32 PM   #26
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongon View Post
I was reading in MJ Valve Amplifiers that the film cap should be close to the active device (tube), not physically across the electrolytic cap. That's how I have mine -- at least as close to this as I could.
One more thing I should mention- Morgan believes that with modern electrolytics, bypassing is moot, and even more so with a few inches of wire lead. I suspect he'll talk about his measurements when BVA2 comes out. In his view, the Kelvin connection far outweighs the choice of dielectric for power supply bypasses.
Old 9th October 2012, 03:35 AM   #27
Rush is offline Rush  United States
diyAudio Member

I was geting on a plane earlier when i posted. Since then I did a google search for Walt Jung, Services and found his website, in the classic articles is his and Richard Marsh's 2 part article published in Audio magazine in 1980, it was also published in Audio Ameteur around the same time.
It is a long read, and the by-passing of electrolitics is on page 8 of the second part.
Proof is in the pudding, Ameteurs seldom leave things alone and if someone says you don't need them anymore, they better have listened both ways, because us Ameteurs will listen both ways to see if they are right.

Rush
Old 9th October 2012, 11:22 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

With a bit of lateral thinking you may figure that it's a better solution to use all polypropylene caps in the PSU, like ordinary motor runs. I've never found it necessary to bypass those. I only use electrolytics in low voltage supplies.
Old 9th October 2012, 04:46 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
With a bit of lateral thinking you may figure that it's a better solution to use all polypropylene caps in the PSU, like ordinary motor runs. I've never found it necessary to bypass those. I only use electrolytics in low voltage supplies.
I agree, these are even better than motor run caps and much smaller.

Check out Clarity Cap's TC series, with these you don't need to bypass an electrolytic, just replace it... It has made huge improvements to my amps, well worth the money.

These are very similar to large value film caps developed for wind turbines that you can get at many electronics parts supply places, but the prices are about the same....

ClarityCap TC Series Film Capacitor
Old 9th October 2012, 05:48 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
$300 for a pair of 470 uF? No thank you, I will better shunt pair of electrolytics by a pair of 4 uF caps.

Hide this!Advertise here!