• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"Bypass caps" and their effect on perceived sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I meant materials used in caps, not schematics.
PS. I'd love to read those works.

I still bypass the caps as in the article. Others just use .47 and .1 uF, probably due to cost.
Try it, you can always remove them and let us know your findings.
I built a regulated supply for my Mac Mini, then added these caps to output and yes even on a computer you can hear an improvement.
I believe you ca do a search for the article, it was also published somewhere else.
Rush

No it hasn't changed. Power supplies haven't changed at all.
Yes it is still Valid. Folks keep reinventing the same thing, calling it new. These guys put time into this and they are engineers. Their work is documented.
Try it.

I agree, there is nothing new, my work is based on 1950's technology. Also read the work done by John Lynsley-Hood, especially with bypass caps across the diodes in the power supply. In fact my power supply for my moscode comes from that era and I have never seen anything similar anywhere else.
Mac

On another thread I talked about the issues, in particular what the spacing of film cap values should be, this summarises it: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/powe...f-m-cap-supreme-bypass-cap-2.html#post3151249.

If you use the "wrong" combination of values many times you'll get away with it by virtue of having enough resistance in the leads and wiring hooking it together to damp impedance resonances. But not always ...

Frank

I was reading in MJ Valve Amplifiers that the film cap should be close to the active device (tube), not physically across the electrolytic cap. That's how I have mine -- at least as close to this as I could.

One more thing I should mention- Morgan believes that with modern electrolytics, bypassing is moot, and even more so with a few inches of wire lead. I suspect he'll talk about his measurements when BVA2 comes out. In his view, the Kelvin connection far outweighs the choice of dielectric for power supply bypasses.

I was geting on a plane earlier when i posted. Since then I did a google search for Walt Jung, Services and found his website, in the classic articles is his and Richard Marsh's 2 part article published in Audio magazine in 1980, it was also published in Audio Ameteur around the same time.
It is a long read, and the by-passing of electrolitics is on page 8 of the second part.
Proof is in the pudding, Ameteurs seldom leave things alone and if someone says you don't need them anymore, they better have listened both ways, because us Ameteurs will listen both ways to see if they are right.

Rush

With a bit of lateral thinking you may figure that it's a better solution to use all polypropylene caps in the PSU, like ordinary motor runs. I've never found it necessary to bypass those. I only use electrolytics in low voltage supplies.

I agree, these are even better than motor run caps and much smaller.

Check out Clarity Cap's TC series, with these you don't need to bypass an electrolytic, just replace it... It has made huge improvements to my amps, well worth the money.

These are very similar to large value film caps developed for wind turbines that you can get at many electronics parts supply places, but the prices are about the same....

ClarityCap TC Series Film Capacitor

$300 for a pair of 470 uF? No thank you, I will better shunt pair of electrolytics by a pair of 4 uF caps.

I have a small amp so the prices weren't too bad, two 110 uF caps are $100. I am also running motor run caps in parallel to increase capacitance at a lower cost. But removing the electrolytic was a huge improvement. From my limited experience, the TC series caps are a huge improvement over a bypassed electrolytic, which was also the case in my preamp...

The other factor is that with the TC series caps you don't need as much capacitance, so you could likely get away with using the ~200 uF caps instead...

People spend all sorts of money on stuff that makes tiny differences... this is a HUGE improvement over running electrolytics, with or without bypasses. I spent $180 on the TC series caps in my amp and preamp, IMO it was one of the best bang for the buck upgrades I've ever done.

You guys not aware of Walt Jung and Richard Marsh work on this issue back in the late seventies? Dig up the Audio Ameteur issue.
Use a 4.7 , .47, .047 (.1) uF film caps across the power supply caps.
This was after extensive testing and listening.

Rush

A+ This works, however you can get carried away with it. Today I just make space in my projects for film and avoid electrolytics as much as possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.