Bogen MO-200A transplant /conversion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2012, 06:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bogen MO-200A transplant /conversion

Hi guys,

There have been quite a few threads about people rebuilding these. One of the most mentionable is Bricktop's build on AudioKarma. Very nice job!

Anyway, I got one of these recently and I am about to pursue my iteration of this good fun. I'm adding a separate grid supply, and chokes in the PS, etc.

I'm waiting for my donor amp to arrive, so I figured I would ask if someone has the L X W dimensions of the power and output transformers.

Also, if someone here who may not be browsing the classifieds has an extra MO-200 they may be willing to part with, I may be interested.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is what I think my layout could look like if the power and outputs are not too big.

Thanks!

Blair

Last edited by deicide67; 3rd September 2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 3rd September 2012, 06:28 AM   #2
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

The transformers are all about the same size, approx. 4"x4.5" footprint and 3.5" high above the chassis as installed (end cover facing up).

Not clear what you propose to do, are you splitting an MO200 into 2 separate MO100 monoblocks? If so, you need another PT. A stereo pair on a single chassis could use a single common PT.
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Thank you! So they are a standard size.

My intention is to build a stereo amp out of this with a switch that will allow for mono operation. That way, if I find another, I can build a pair.

I will keep images, and progress up here.

Thanks again!

Blair
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for confirming the size of the transformers. Here is my proposed layout. Are the output tubes too close to the chokes?

Thanks,

Blair
Old 4th September 2012, 08:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have 2 MO200's waiting for my attention. One of the problems I find with this amp is the massive amount of wieght the chasis has to support. One of my amps is earlier than the other....one amp does not have factory installed chassis reenforcment while the other as factory installed chasis reenforceement. My intention was to add to the existing chasis a rack mount face plate with side panels that would help stiffen the unit up.
Old 4th September 2012, 08:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Where are you located? I will have a rack mount faceplate available. The plate in my picture is 3mm thick and I'm adding angle under it.

Blair
Old 4th September 2012, 08:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I like the Dynaco Mark VI layout. Notice the rack mount faceplate with the reinfoced side panels. I think I am leaning more to making them mono blocks to give me more room to work in. There's a lot of rack mount related faceplates, shelving, and side supports out there so maybe I'll kick start the project once I find the right case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 62.jpg (23.3 KB, 174 views)
Old 4th September 2012, 09:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK.

Just let me know. I guess the one I bought is rare because I cannot find a picture of one like it. It has that exact style faceplate with support sides.

I'll take a picture of it tomorrow when it arrives.

Blair
Old 5th September 2012, 04:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

typical mo200 looks like the pic I attached. if yours has a rack mount face and side support...that would be a good thing. if your not going to keep your old case send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg normal_Bogen_MO-200A~0.jpg (25.9 KB, 168 views)
Old 7th September 2012, 10:40 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I finally got the amp. Here is the rack mount adapter:

It is very thick. 16ga from the looks of it. It bolts to the original Bogen bottom plate bolt pattern.

Blair

Hide this!Advertise here!