What amp can make use of these large caps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2012, 06:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What amp can make use of these large caps?

A friend works in a equipment company sent me a huge box full of huge capacitors. It weight more than 70kg, 200 pcs 2200uf/400V capacitors in it. It's almost as big as a cola bottle.

I have no reason not to take this huge free gift. I think these caps may be used for tube amplifiers, but for most of the tube amplifiers I have seen a 470uF for power supply is enough. How can I make use of these huge capacitors?

it's not for sale, do not expect to see in the store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9214.jpg (187.3 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9216.jpg (116.5 KB, 514 views)
Old 16th February 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

Cattle prod?
Old 16th February 2012, 07:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

man, i figure the real estate to fix it to is worth more than any electrical result you might get... Unless you want 30 or 40 seconds of bleed-down after you hit the "off" switch...

Perhaps in a defibrillator???
Old 16th February 2012, 07:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The only reason tube amps have traditional used smaller is

-tube rectifiers arc if exposed to to much capacitance.
-they are expensive

Neither reason should be an impediment to using these caps in a well designed power supply. I frequently use use up to 1000uf in my power supplies. One solution is to restrict yourself to using on Silicone rectifiers, the other is to use 10uf followed by a beefy choke and then your big banks of 2200uf caps. This will prevent valve arcing. Always bypass your big caps with quality film caps - it really counts.
The benefit of going large on your power supply caps is that it will mean an absolutely hum free amp with powerful well controlled bass.
Secondly, consider using these as cathode bypass caps. Most people grossly undersize their cathode bypass caps with various nasty effects of bass and phase shift. If you have big caps then this is the obvious place to use them (bypassed of course).

Finally - if you do not feel you can use them - send them to me and I will find them a very good home.
Shoog

Last edited by Shoog; 16th February 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 16th February 2012, 07:50 AM   #5
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes but hopefully he doesn't need 400V caps in the cathode
Old 16th February 2012, 07:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgta View Post
Yes but hopefully he doesn't need 400V caps in the cathode
There free, but yes total overkill in this situation. Might be an excuse for building that lovely direct coupled amp you have always dreamed of.

Shoog
Old 16th February 2012, 08:00 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I guess the diode will burn when power on with this cap?

Does a cathod bypass cap need to be 400V? In my FU50 SE it's only 220uf/50V and works fine. Is there any tubes can work under 200V cathod voltage?

Finally, I don't mind to send you one if you wish to pay the shipping cost, or buy anything from our store. I'm serious.
Old 16th February 2012, 08:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconray View Post
How can I make use of these huge capacitors
OTL
Old 16th February 2012, 08:11 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you really don't think you can usefully use them put them up on ebay at 10.00 a pop, I am certain they would sell.

At the moment I have no intention of building another power amp - so thanks for the offer.

Shoog
Old 16th February 2012, 08:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I can sell it for $5, but plus $15 for shipping, who will buy?

I'll reserve them for my own porjects.

Hide this!Advertise here!