• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What amp can make use of these large caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seems things are going to be rough for a while...
Caps work fine on my SR board. I've not read
one complaint of an actual non-functioning cap.
I don't know if my caps are new or surplus, but
they sound fine.

Let me be clear I am not talking about the
specific cap of this thread. As for that one,
I don't have any knowledge.

Last edited:
I tried the large cap on my little amp this morning, just connected it in parallel with the 330uf. All I can say is awesome. I don't have golden ears to distinguish the difference between silver cable and copper cable, but I'm pretty sure all hum was blown away to mars. The bass was obvious strengthened.

Attachments

• DSCN9218.jpg
    DSCN9218.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 242
Hi Kenpeter, I'm really appriciate your kindless. But I don't think it worth taking your time to plead for me. I came here mostly for fun. I won't dream that the audio DIY market will bring more than 3% profit of our company. Friends like you and John and sled really make me very happy, that's why I wish to share my fun with you by sending you stuffs without even shipping cost.
I believe Globug is correct that my poor English will ruin my business, but I don't care. I will stay here till I lost interests.

I wished Globug had read post 14 before his post

Seems things are going to be rough for a while...
Caps work fine on my SR board. I've not read
one complaint of an actual non-functioning cap.
I don't know if my caps are new or surplus, but
they sound fine.

Let me be clear I am not talking about the
specific cap of this thread. As for that one,
I don't have any knowledge.

Last edited:
I'm very farmilar with DC and stepper motor dirver, but how to build a stone pulverizing?
I have a friend is doing research on magnetostrictive effect. Once I saw a big iron like rod in his lab, about 15cm dia, 20cm tall, rounded with copper wire coils. The diameter of the copper wire is about 5mm. He told me it's a terrible 10kW ultrasonic generator used to smash the alumina from several um to dozens of nano meter. Maybe it can also be used as an stone pulverizing?

With a bank of these, you can make a variable speed motor drive. Or, you can make a diy ultrasonic stone pulverizing machine.

A friend works in a equipment company sent me a huge box full of huge capacitors. It weight more than 70kg, 200 pcs 2200uf/400V capacitors in it. It's almost as big as a cola bottle.

I have no reason not to take this huge free gift. I think these caps may be used for tube amplifiers, but for most of the tube amplifiers I have seen a 470uF for power supply is enough. How can I make use of these huge capacitors?

it's not for sale, do not expect to see in the store.:eek:

One 2200 uF / 400V cap would be nice to power B+ of my Gubernator (parallel 4P1L SE) amp. I used a couple of 4,700/200V in series, it sounds like battery powered. Dead rock quiet.

I guess the diode will burn when power on with this cap?

I have 20 Ohm wirewound in series with primary that relay shunts when sees rectified voltage for filaments. Since all secondaries of the power transformer are feed from the same primary, voltages on all rectifiers go up proportionally to each other, so it is enough to sense one of them to know that all caps are charged. Why I sense voltage on filament rectifier, because if the amp is switched off filaments still draw current discharging filter capacitors.

Hi All,

Originally Posted by siliconray
I guess the diode will burn when power on with this cap?

It depends on the type of diodes you are employ. Today there are loads of different types of diodes on the market which able to handle thousands of amps for a microsecond. And on the other hand the inrushing current will be limited by sum of all series resistances. Rmains, Rprim, Rsec and ESR of the cap.
In my MC-3500 clone I use 8x 470µF/400V in 2 groups of 2 parallel , 2 in series giving a total capacitance of 940µF /800V.
The inrushing current in the mains (230V) is abt. 100A for 0,1 sec , which trip the 16A CB on the mains panel .After I replaced the CB against one with the C caracteristic the CB stay on. The former CB had curve B and trip at abt 5 times inrushing current.

The bridge rectifier ist an 800V 5A version with can withstand abt. 250A for 0,1A sec. I have no current limiting components inside , except the natural given resistances.

So if I had such capacitors like the one siliconray got, I would use them I in my Amp. But now that my amps are finished, I wouldn´t change my circuit design anymore , because it works to my perfect satisfaction.

I came recently randomly (correct english?) across of some huge siemens-sicorel Capacitors with 4700µF/450V . They are 100mm Ø (4") x 280mm (11") in size. They beating everything I saw before. The are salvaged from a scraped DC/AC Inverter .
But by the way I have no idea what to build with this beasts.

Wolfgang
DF6ZC

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.