• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube phono preamplifier by 12ax7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Planning to design a low cost tube phono preamplifier. After searching on the web I realized a phono preamplifier should have the following features:
1. High gain. Normally 40 to 45dB
2. A RIAA circuit is necessary
3. High input impedance is needed for piezeo phono head
4. Low input impedance is needed for magnetic phono head

I found a very simple circuit designed by 7025 (12ax7), attached below. Is ther anybody had tried this circuit? How about the performance?

THe output impedance is 220kOhm, maybe too high for some power amplifiers. I think a cathod follower should be added.

Attachments

• 20100929_849a1f6aba08b4750c132wedr4Wa4g5d.gif
    20100929_849a1f6aba08b4750c132wedr4Wa4g5d.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,007
There's already about a million companies offering kits based on these not-terrific and poorly-performing designs. Why not do something different? I would agree with Lars, if you want to offer something and your design chops aren't up to it (your last post confirms that), hire someone to do it for you.

Hi SY, this one isn't a kit, just a trial project. Maybe we'll offering phono preamp kit in the future, but not this one.

I just courious about phono because many people mentioned about it at this digital time. I just want to give a try, my personal hobby project. My phono player is still on the way.

I wish I can find someone to do it, but it's not easy to find an experienced tube amp designer here.

BTW, what do you think can be 'different' from the other 1 million companies products?

Last edited:
BTW, what do you think can be 'different' from the other 1 million companies products?

It would be nice to have one with good RIAA conformance, low distortion, low input capacitance, high overload margins, and fast recovery from overload. If I were you, I'd spend a few days going through the preamp chapter in Morgan Jones's "Valve Amplifiers."

Morgan Jones said:
When we investigated power amplifiers, we looked at some classic designs to see how the goals were achieved. There were no classic RIAA stages, they varied from mediocre to plain awful.

siliconray said:
it's not easy to find an experienced tube amp designer here.
Yes, we have noticed lots of poor valve designs coming from over there. I guess that is why the unscrupulous copy other peoples's designs. Surely someone in China knows how to do valve audio?

High quality genuine components? Proper safety features? Genuine CE mark earned by careful analysis and testing for EMC and safety, backed up by real documentation? That would set you apart from many of your rivals.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can self certify and use the CE mark, but be prepared to back it up with good records showing that you verified compliance with the requirement. Getting a test house to do this work is well beyond the reach of most small businesses. (It is very expensive)

CE mark in this context would generally be understood to apply to a finished product rather than something like a pcb based board kit.

This is not a requirement for selling in North America, but is for selling finished products in the EU. I've heard of no instances where this was applied to hobbyist projects, and hope that continues to be the case.

Preamp RIAA

Hi SY, I did think one of the best pre RIAA on a project basis WAD / Hi-Fi World DIY/. I added only one ECC83 - parallel input and changed the power supply.
I've done different versions of the system. Regards Dinkers

Attachments

• post-16334-100004788 1208522293_thumb.jpg
    post-16334-100004788 1208522293_thumb.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 643
  • !cid_65A1F8025C684AC1878BEC7444D19401@BoenkaPC.jpg
    !cid_65A1F8025C684AC1878BEC7444D19401@BoenkaPC.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 644
  • preriaa]p-oi.jpg
    preriaa]p-oi.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 624
pre RIAA WAD

Yes, I have seven pages for a full description. I tried everything posted on the diyAudio forum, but it is too large file
We are happy to make available on the mailbox, or will put on one side turn on the diyAudio forum. I can do it tomorrow
I want to point out that a lot of working on a good pre RIAA, because I listen almost exclusively to LPS. I tried to do a replica of the layout of the SRPP Audio Note and other systems. WAD is the best! Below is a photo posted M2 Phono and my version of WAD. Regards Dinkers

Attachments

• m2phono.jpg
    m2phono.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 610
  • M2 Phono AN.jpg
    M2 Phono AN.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 578
  • WAD Pre RIAA.jpg
    WAD Pre RIAA.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 212
Thanks Dinkers, I'll read more aritcals about RIAA and phono amplifier at my spare time. Hope my first phono amp can be done in one month.

We have a server and a image management system. You can send me the files, I will upload to our server and post the links for download. My email: mike@ezpcb.com
Hi SY, I did think one of the best pre RIAA on a project basis WAD / Hi-Fi World DIY/. I added only one ECC83 - parallel input and changed the power supply.
I've done different versions of the system. Regards Dinkers

Last edited:
pre RIAA WAD

Yes, a miniature diagram - this is WAD / World Audio Design /. Schematic SRPP / M2 Phono / is a system of original Audio Note. Do not have a scanner and I can now embed individual pages WAD. I think this is one of the best projects in general and RIAA phono preamp. Complemented by a step-up transformers can work with MC cartridges. In the picture my version of WAD with step-up
Regards Dinkers

Attachments

• wad.jpg
    wad.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 211
  • step-up.jpg
    step-up.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 160
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.