• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube phono preamplifier by 12ax7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't for get the groovewatt RIAA, very similar to the WAD, a couple of 12AX7 SRPP stages with the RIAA comp between them. Then a 12AT7 follower output. I'm currently fabbing one to try it out, design looks solid, but I added the 50k cutting head 3.18us comp components. Heaters need a raised 12 V due to the SRPP design, I decided on about 70V based on the B+ that I'l have available.

Attachments

• pcb4_a.jpg
    pcb4_a.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 494
Planning to design a low cost tube phono preamplifier. After searching on the web I realized a phono preamplifier should have the following features:
1. High gain. Normally 40 to 45dB
2. A RIAA circuit is necessary
3. High input impedance is needed for piezeo phono head
4. Low input impedance is needed for magnetic phono head

I found a very simple circuit designed by 7025 (12ax7), attached below. Is ther anybody had tried this circuit? How about the performance?

THe output impedance is 220kOhm, maybe too high for some power amplifiers. I think a cathod follower should be added.

What changes should by made to the schematic instead of Tube/Valve 12AX7 to PCC88 use?
thanks you!

WAD RIAA

Hi, I scanned all records of WAD. It was a supplement in the British journal Hi-Fi World - November 2000. Formula 22, PCC88 - I think that is the worst tube for audio ... Greetings Dinkers

Attachments

• wad7.jpg
    wad7.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 194
  • wad6.jpg
    wad6.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 133
  • wad5.jpg
    wad5.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 189
  • wad4.jpg
    wad4.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 201
  • wad3.jpg
    wad3.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 391
  • wad2.jpg
    wad2.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 389
  • wad1.jpg
    wad1.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 420
  • wad8.jpg
    wad8.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 197
BTW, what do you think can be 'different' from the other 1 million companies products?

Maybe you should try building the RCA design and others here. It fun and you may enjoy it. Search the forum and try various things. Listen critically. Compare with other commercial preamps at high-end audio stores. Build an inverse RIAA network. See if sound quality is altered running through preamps you test and that network. (it does the opposite of what the preamp does, the overall result of the two combined should be neutral and not alter a clean source heard through it.) Something others are not doing? A tubed phono section with circuitry to remove pops and clicks could certainly be a complex undertaking.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.