• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Jadis Defy 7 Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(I've also posted this on Tube Asylum because I need all the help I can get... Thanks!)

Greetings:

I recently purchased a Jadis Defy 7 that was damaged. This is my first tube amp so please forgive the newby questions...

Thank you to those who have responded to my earlier post regarding recommended tubes... I have decided to go for matched sextets of GE 6550's from Jim McShane...

At the risk of asking too many questions, I have a few more that I hope those in the forum will help with...

1. Does anyone have a schematic for the Defy 7 that they'd be willing to share? I am very curious of the changes that were made between the versions. I don't know which version that I have - the serial number is 275... I've contacted NorthStar and Jadis and thus far, no response from either... I'd like to take mine to the MK 4 level while it's apart if possible but I need a schematic to see what changes were made...

2. I have to replace two of the eight 100uf 450v electrolytics that are located on the main circuit board due to damage. I am considering replacing all eight with Solens unless someone has a better recommendation. They are pretty expensive so if there is a decent sounding substitute I'm very open to suggestions... If suggesting something different, please also state where they can be purchased if possible... They are axial mount caps...

3. When the new tubes are installed I will need to bias the unit. There are four bias pots on the circuit board. It appears that each pot controls the bias for 3 tubes. Would someone be willing to share the proceedure for biasing this amp? Also, the recommended bias current? And lastly, where to measure the current?

4. I am going to replace eight 100K resistors on the main pcb while its apart because they are discolored from heat. All still measure to spec but they have been very hot by the look of them. They look to me to be 3 watt carbon resistors with standard color coding. I don't know the brand. I am considering using Mills 5 watt units as replacements because I don't want to risk having one (or more) of them fail. Any recommendations on the brand and model of resistor to use for the best sound?

I have done tech work on solid state stuff for years so I'm very comfortable with the work that needs to be done. That having been said, as I mentioned above, this is my first tube amp so any help/wisdom is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any info that you're willing to share.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Apogee,

Do you have the software necessary to either print postscript files or to convert them to PDF format?

If you don't, I can e-mail you the PDF files, you'll need Acrobat Reader which is available for free at http://www.adobe.com

BTW, you really owe it to yourself to try the Tung-sol 6550s on that Jadis; nothing else comes close.

Oh, I do recommend BGs for the PS, they're absolutely stunning.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Changed your religion, Frank ?

No, never had any regarding BG caps...

Just some safety issues with some unfortunate dutchies who seemed to have forgotten that they need to do the maths right...and not blame their 300Bs or the BGs for the misfortune.

Seriously though, a friend of mine modded his Mac 240 with some BGs in the PS and as I know that class B amp pretty well I was smitten with the results...

We're considering modding his brother's Jadis DA 30 as well, an amp that would really benefit from some extra top-end BTW.

As we speak I was browsing Partsconnexion's site to place a cute little order on BGs to go into my OTL amps.
That's how religious I am....

I'll give it to you; these caps are absolutely incredible!!!

Oh, and if you want to check it out look at what caps I specced in the PS for Burnedfinger's preamp here:

PREAMP

Post # 20 shows the PS.

He probably hasn't realised yet it's going to cost him big time... :mafioso:

Ciao,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Who doesn't know Triodedick?

Thanks, J-P.

I'll see if he's got the values I want.

BTW, while I get you're attention and we're talking caps; do you know that Jadis is using the excellent and cheap ICEL caps for interstage coupling?

RS Components carries the HV range and their really not expensive at all and the best non-boutique caps I know of bar the unobtainable PTFE and PolySulfone (?) Eurofarads.

The Relcaps, MIT polystyrenes are better still but you'd pay ten times more for the same value.

Cheers,;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
BTW, while I get you're attention and we're talking caps; do you know that Jadis is using the excellent and cheap ICEL caps for interstage coupling?

I know ICEL but I don't have them anymore and I don't remember which series they were. They sure were good ( yellow 400 V types axial MKP ).

BTW Triodedick is not the seller ! The seller was mentioned at his sites "mededelingenbord" but seems to be removed. Please send me a private mail for details.

Hi Frank,

I can handle the pdf files just fine... It would be great if you'd shoot them to me...

I'd love to populate the Jadis with Tungsol's... Unfortunately, they seem to be brutal pricewise... Hence why I went for the NOS GE's... Still pretty expensive but about half the cost...

Thanks for the comments on the BG's....

Also, do you have schematics for the various incarnations of this amp so I can take it to a MK4?

Thanks,

Thanks rfbrw....

Unfortuantely, I have no way to open a .ps file.... What program created the files? Orcad?

I don't know if your files are the same that Frank is sending so would it be possible to export them into some other format including pdf?

Thanks very much!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I can handle the pdf files just fine... It would be great if you'd shoot them to me...

Just push my e-mail button and say cuckoo, that's all there's to it.

I'd love to populate the Jadis with Tungsol's... Unfortunately, they seem to be brutal pricewise... Hence why I went for the NOS GE's... Still pretty expensive but about half the cost...

I'm going to end up like Joan of Arc for this but' forget the price forget anything else, if music is sacred then get at least one set of Tung-sols.

And while I'm shooting stars, get real unused TFKs for the input tubes...

Use silverwire solid core interconnects and speaker cables and if ever you feel I misrepresented the facts to you all I can say is that something else must be off... ofcourse this assumes a very decent pair of speakers.

I realise it would be an unthinkable luxury to keep an unmodded Jadis to compare with a modified one but the differences are short of incredible.

This isn't the perfect amp, but it does go a long way given a symbiotic preamp and is utterly uncanny in it's "you are there" realism.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Any other mods that you would recommend while I have this thing completely stripped?

Not unless you want to spend mega$$$, I don't.

Besides, no single tweak I'd suggest is going to beat a decent set of Tung-Sol 6550s...
That's if you value the often coined term "musicality", which is one reason you picked the Jadis in the first place, right?

Cheers,;)

Thanks to all for the help so far....

Regarding the caps that I need to replace, I would like some opinions... They are 100uf @ 450v electrolytics private labeled for Jadis. If anyone knows the original make it would be helpful...

Unfortunately, I can't afford to replace with 8 Black Gates at $90 each...

I was thinking that I would use Solens... They are ONLY $25 each... Brutal!

The other options are the Sprague Atoms @ $9 each or the IC's at $6 each... Actually both are recommended as decent from what I've read...

I've also found that JJ Electronics has a cap line and they would cost ~$10 each...

The board is designed for axial mount. The BG's, and JJ's are radial so it would make mounting difficult. Not something that is impossible but they wouldn't look nearly as nice. They would need to lay on their side because they are located on the underside of the amp...

Any other recommendations/thoughts would be much appreciated...

Yes, I want the BG's too....but I can't right now.... :-(

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.