• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What would be the correct output cap for this OTL Headphone Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amp sounds great, and it can perfectly drive the Sennheiser HD-650 headphones. But the bass is rolled off, probably because of the low value (40 uF) of the output cap. What could be a reasonable value? 220 uF? I will have to replace it with an electrolytic cap, because there is no space for an oil cap.

The values in red is what I have measured
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Another issue is that it gets extremely hot. I guess that it is the cathode resistor (1k/25W). Next week I will borrow a thermal camera and I will have a hot look at it. :cool:

Last edited:
Hi briasnune. It is not soldering flux. The manufacturer has covered it with some kind of laque.

It is not my design; I did buy it from a Chinese manuafcturer. Now I am doing reverse-engineering and trying to learn something about cathode followers, in order to improve the design.

I will rewire the filament wires twisting the cables. I have also noticed that the cathode bypas cap of one of the the input tubes is not wired to the common ground, but to the RCA input. This is possibly creating a ground loop.

Thank you for your answers

Thank you for the information Sofa.

I have found some pictures, and it seems that there is a woman manufacturing this amplifier. This could be the reason why it looks nice. There was a need of a femenine touch in the art of point-to-point wiring :)

url=http://www.diybuy.net/thread-245720-1-1.html

BTW: Thermal camera in hand, in only five minutes I have measured 180 degC at the 100Ohm/10W power supply resistors, and 165 degC at the 1k/25W cathode resistors :bomb: Time to start replacing components.

Last edited:
pingfloid - sofaspud has already given you the formula for the capacitance for a given cut-off frequency but I'd thought I'd send a bit more detail.

Above is the equivalent circuit "looking into" the cathode. You don't need to worry about the left hand side resistor network since it doesn't impact frequency response. On the right, you have 300 ohms in parrallel with 10K so you can approximate that to 300 ohms. The two capacitors of 40uF and 2200pF are additive but that can be approximated to 40uF. Looking at the headphones, the frequency at which half the maximum power is being delivered to the headphones is given by f-3dB = 1/(2*pi*R*C)
= 1/(2*3.142*300*40x10^-6) = 13.26Hz. The CR combination is a high-pass filter so everything above 13.26Hz is deemed to pass through.
If you want to calculate the capacitance required for a different -3dB frequency (let's say 1Hz), the rearrange the above formula to give: C = 1/(2*pi*1*300)
= 530uF

Thank you very much for the clarification, Skajam66.

I have a couple of Sammhwa 220uF/450V Korean caps. This would give me a cut frequency of 2.41 Hz. I will replace them, and I will see if I can notice a degradation of sound quality when using electrolytic capacitors.

Grid Stopper resistor to cancel RF interference

Nice job , twist the filaments wires together , and add Grid stoppers resistors in each tube ( say 1KΩ ) .

I've tried everything to remove the RF interference: grounding, shielding, ferrites... Finaly, a 1k GS resistor is the only thing that do the job. No more news on the radio and crispy sparks from the elevator motor while I listen music! :) And I do not notice any change on the performance.

About the filaments wiring, the amplifier is dead quiet, so I will follow rule number one: "if it works, don't touch it".

Last edited:
This 90 deg issue, could i be the reason why I am listening to a local FM radio when I use this amplifier on my house (not in my office), even with the volume pot turned down?

No, Add some small value RF bypass caps from your grids and PS +V to ground. When I worked at a FM station we had a guy on a hill by us whose stereo played the station WHEN IT WAS UNPLUGGED. (RF received by speaker wires, rectified by output transistors and sent back to speakers as audio.)
Doc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.