• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What would be the correct output cap for this OTL Headphone Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am going to try your suggestion, Doc. I have few old tubular capacitors of 1n, 1n5 and 2n7. I will start with 1n.

ooh, too much. Each one would represent about a 10Kohm load at 20Khz (Xl=1/(2pi FHz Cfarrad)) Might cause some noticable high freq rolloff. I'd go lower like 100pF -or less- for RF decoupling. You want the cap to short the FM (88-108MHz) to ground, but not the audio.

Doc

BTW: Thermal camera in hand, in only five minutes I have measured 180 degC at the 100Ohm/10W power supply resistors, and 165 degC at the 1k/25W cathode resistors :bomb: Time to start replacing components.

Hi pingfloid,

the cathode resistor R6 dissipates about 10 watts, so there's no need to replace them as they're rated at 25 watts. As for the B+ filtering resistors, we should have some more details: It is a stereophonic amp with a common supply, right? As each channel draws about 100mA, power dissipation is (0.2^2 * 100) = 4 watts - also sufficiently low enough for a component rated at 10 watts. Finally, temperature of resistors surely won't affect the frequency response of your amplifier :)!

Best regards and a happy new year!

Hi Kay,

Yes, it is a stereo amp with common supply. If the power dissipation is 10 W, and the resistors are rated 25 W, I don't understand why they got so hot. In 20 or 30 minutes the chasis of the amplifier is around 60 ~ 100 degC. Really dangerous if you touch it while adjusting the volume potentiometer.

I have already ordered a couple of this Vishay Thik Film Resistor rated 50 Watt (2.5 W at free air) and small Heat Sink from Mouser.

I don't know what else can I do in order to reduce the heat. Tomorrow I will check the voltage through the power Supply resistors in order to calculate the current and power.

lto50.jpg
6237bg.jpg

Last edited:
Err.. I have to correct myself: there is a reduction in the volume.

I am going to try your suggestion, Doc. I have few old tubular capacitors of 1n, 1n5 and 2n7. I will start with 1n.
Its hard to belive that 1Kohm grid stopper resistor make any reduction in the volume , however you can add a very small cap ( about 10 - 47pF ) between grid and cathode of the EF95 .

Yet another Chinese room heater, at those case temperatures the Elkos will boil.

The designers are trying to dissipate ~28Watts inside a virtually closed box!

The Heat sinks you have chosen are useless as they have a thermal RTh of approximately 15Deg/Watt, this equates to 150DegC above ambient (Free Air)

I knocked up this circuit on a breadboard for a Christmas project and with 75mmx50mm Heat sinks, the 1K resistors run at approximately 50DegC, which is still a bit to hot but I don't have any others to try.

I used RED LED Bias on the 6sh1's and got similar voltage measurements (10% rule). No problems with Rf breakthrough. Input 1k Gristopper and 47K input.

Cheers

John

Attachments

• 6c19HeadPhone01.jpg
    6c19HeadPhone01.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 6c19HeadPhone02.jpg
    6c19HeadPhone02.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 6c19HeadPhone03.jpg
    6c19HeadPhone03.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 109
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.