My new Circlotron OTL tube power Amp. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2011, 11:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My new Circlotron OTL tube power Amp.

First of all congratulatios for this great forum with those wonderful threads and ideas . I would like to introduce to you , my new tube power amplifier ( its not complete yet , but soon it will be ) , wich is an OTL Circlotron topology with the PL36 tubes . I use the following tubes for each channel , one EF184 or EF183 for the input stage / phase spliter following by one PCC85 as first differential gain stage following by two PCL82 as second differential gain stage ( the triode sections ) and the pentode sections as cathode follower to drive easely the output tubes wich is 10 PL36 five per each rail . Here is some fotos .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8150116.JPG (616.8 KB, 1589 views)
File Type: jpg P8150117.JPG (620.6 KB, 1394 views)
File Type: jpg PA180131.JPG (618.0 KB, 1279 views)
File Type: jpg P9280125.JPG (594.2 KB, 1249 views)
File Type: jpg P9280126.JPG (611.3 KB, 1208 views)
Old 19th November 2011, 11:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Two other fotos .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9150120.JPG (614.9 KB, 546 views)
File Type: jpg PA180134.JPG (616.2 KB, 699 views)
Old 20th November 2011, 01:40 AM   #3
ke4mcl is offline ke4mcl  United States
diyAudio Member

wow! thats alot of heat!
nice build
Old 20th November 2011, 02:44 AM   #4
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Impressive...

It's quite a bit of glass - can't wait to hear your impressions on how this baby sounds !
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 20th November 2011, 02:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A truly amazing project.. I will be watching for final pics and performance comments.
Old 20th November 2011, 03:01 AM   #6
Tajzmaj is offline Tajzmaj  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Very nice ...and diy. I like it very much.
Regards, Taj
Old 20th November 2011, 04:02 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nice job. I like the use of the PC card as a strip line for the outputs. If you run this in or near class A I hope it doesn't oscillate on you. You may have to move the stopper resistors closer to the socket connections. Also the filaments might do a little better powered from the center tube, or even end-to-end, to equalize voltage.
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old 20th November 2011, 08:05 AM   #8
banat is offline banat  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Very nice OTL amps project !

Best Regards !
Old 20th November 2011, 04:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you all guys for your comments .
Old 20th November 2011, 04:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowState View Post
Nice job. I like the use of the PC card as a strip line for the outputs. If you run this in or near class A I hope it doesn't oscillate on you. You may have to move the stopper resistors closer to the socket connections. Also the filaments might do a little better powered from the center tube, or even end-to-end, to equalize voltage.
Yes you have right , the grid stopper resistors its better to be closer to the tubes , but in this case the driver stage have very low output resistance because it is a cathode follower and will minimeze any unwanted effect . The filaments of the PL36 is 25V 0,3A for each one and the 5 tubes need 1,5 A wich is not heavy current , but i agree with you that it is better to connect it like you say if we have tubes like EL36 or El509 or other tubes wich have big reguirements of currents . In the past i use to connect every tube filaments with sepsrate cables , in this amp i do it for simplicity because there is too many tubes .

Hide this!Advertise here!