CF/CCS, can it be made simpler? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2011, 04:14 PM   #1
tricomp is offline tricomp  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default CF/CCS, can it be made simpler?

Hi,

I'm about to finish a 2C34-PP stereo amp. project.

To pull some usefull Watts from the 2C34 dual-triode I has to be allowed to pull grid-current, about 10mA, hence the CF-drive.
Having so far only put the amp on a scope and a tone-generator and measuring output-power, I have to say I'm pleased with the measured 12W/8-Ohm and 16Watt/4-Ohm. As I don't have a distortion analyzer I used the scope to determine the onset of distortion; not the most precise way, I admit.
When the amp's connected to my stereo and a pair of B&W 685 Speakers (88dB spl/1m, 8 Ohm.) it performs very much as hoped and expected. Rich and controlled bass (NFB applied) clean highs and nice vocals.

Now, my question is if I can safely simplify the CCS-circuit? The Cathode Follower is supplied from a Constant Current Source as per schematic (one channel shown, CF, CCS and output only).
I simply want to reduce the use of 4x6.2Vz and 4x1N4148 in each reference-string for the CCS to one of each. Then to connect each of the four BC549-bases to the 1N4148 Anode. Also could the MJE340 bases be connected to the common point between just one pair of 31K/3K3 resistors? Possibly the current in the reference chain 31K/3K3/1N4148/6.2Vz should be higher if transistors are connected as suggested above?
What you can't see from the schematic is that the -82V supply for the CCS is stabilized and comming from a TL783.

As the amp. is already built and pretty much finished I don't want to rip it apart to experiment needlessly. That's the reason for my question as I know someone here will definately have the right ansver

If anyone's interested I'll of course upload the rest of the schematic and pictures.

rgds and thanks,

/tri-comp
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2C34_Modified_III.pdf (13.4 KB, 402 views)
Old 25th May 2011, 05:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Why not just use a DN2540N5 depletion mode fet (Supertex)? THat's the approach I use with all my CF circuits. The current source is then reduced to the fet and two resistors. The output impedance is also pretty high without the need to cascode.
Old 25th May 2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

And cascoding with another device is only nominally harder. One extra device, LM317 or LM134 (depending on current) and one resistor. Probably less than half a euro in cost. I cranked out a lifetime supply of PCBs for these (90 PCBs for about $40), so they're very easy to implement.
Old 25th May 2011, 07:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
It is already simple enough, what else do you want?
If to simplify, I would avoid stabilizing of a negative voltage if CCS is stable enough (as drawn on your picture)
Old 25th May 2011, 07:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricomp View Post
Hi,

I'm about to finish a 2C34-PP stereo amp. project.

If anyone's interested I'll of course upload the rest of the schematic and pictures.

rgds and thanks,

/tri-comp
Yes please on the complete schematics!

Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 07:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

DN2540N5 depletion mode fet
The reason for not using that is I'm not familiar with it ...until now.

LM317 / LM134
Use of these chips with an I-O potential of more than 100V. I don't think so!
The 2C34 g1-to-g1 swing is around 150Vpp

Simple enough
You're right, it isn't all that complicated AND it's already put together and it's working. I was just wondering and possibly I'll make another amp just like this as I already have the laser-cut and bended chassis for it. If I do I'll want to implement any improvements/simplifications, if any.

rgds,

/tri-comp
Old 25th May 2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Fenris is offline Fenris  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricomp View Post
LM317 / LM134
Use of these chips with an I-O potential of more than 100V. I don't think so!
The 2C34 g1-to-g1 swing is around 150Vpp
/tri-comp
http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...a/jung2779.pdf

Fig. 13C

The LM317 is cascoded using a DN2540N5 or IXCP10M45S, giving it the capability to handle 400+ volts.
Old 25th May 2011, 07:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The pre-amp/concertina circuit.

The power-supply circuit isn't quite ready for publication as I haven't yet decided if I'm going to run the 6AN8A fil's on DC.
One channel is fully finished and I'm transfering the other pre-amp/concertina from a rats-nest to final point-to-point assembly.
After that and installing the bottom-cover I'll know about hum-level and need for DC-filament.

rgds,

/tri-comp
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2C34_Phase-inv + Pre_.pdf (11.6 KB, 104 views)
Old 25th May 2011, 07:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...a/jung2779.pdf

Fig. 13C

The LM317 is cascoded using a DN2540N5 or IXCP10M45S, giving it the capability to handle 400+ volts.
I've been trying to get my hands on IXCP10M45S but it's simply not available from any of my suppliers including RS-Components.
I would REALLY love to work with that!

/tri-comp
Old 25th May 2011, 07:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
If to simplify, I would avoid stabilizing of a negative voltage if CCS is stable enough (as drawn on your picture)
That is something I've considered already as I've come across this suggestion in an old (50'ies I think) description of a cathode-driven PP-stage with a pentode-CCS. It was specifically stated that the stability of the negative supply isn't all that important.
I can easily remove the chip and see...
Not tonight, however but more likely over the week-end.

rgds,

/tri-comp

Hide this!Advertise here!