• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6c33 SET (my next project). Need some feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've just completed my first project. A Zen Triode Clone(decware). My goal was to learn a few thing about tube amps in a practical manner so it was basically a scrap build.

:smash: The next step is 6c33 SET. They are cheap but powerful military spec triodes. I bought them for ~8 euros. This won't be just a scrap build. I want to build the best amp i can afford. :smash:

The opt's will be custom made. -> i need a source of c-cores in europe

Stereo/monoblock -> wich is better?

Schematic -> which is the best one

RR

Hi RR,

Take a look at Romy the Cat's site (goodsoundclub).
He has much experience with the 6C33; you will find his Melquiades amplifier there.
When you have winding possibilities overthere I would be willing to supply you with some HiB c-cores.
Please note: there exists no "best schematic".
Especially with SE amplifiers take the loudspeaker into consideration; it must play well together.

imho EL84 or KT88 triode strapped is a much better choice for audio applications. 6C33C suitable for OTL but once OT is involved there is no benefit using it.

Lundahl (SE) makes good trafos. Double U core claims to be the best design for OT permalloy or amorphous. Magnequest (US) had cobalt cores in stock several years ago probably the most rare and exotic ones.

In case Russian tubes seems to be appealing GU72 (ГУ72) is a very good output tetrode for a SET needs B+ at least 650V however.

:I have a EL84 trioded allready :D. It is sweet. I also have a few 6c33 and a big appeal to build something with them. Lundhal is to expensive :(. I just need good cores. There is someone here who can wind the bobins. He is good. Very good. But from what i know he has only EI cores. And i want C-cores. Eventually i will make my own Xfos. But not yet.

The 6c33 might not be the best choice but 20W SE with ~220V ?:D
It's a muscle car. BIG FAT engine, low milage but great sound !(i hope :D )

hello pieter
For the moment i don't have any good loudspeakers around. Just some sweet tesla speakers wich i use with the Zen. I will go full range i think. But who know...
Can you send me a price list for the c-cores?
Thank you

Do you have an idea what dimensions you would need?
There are different ranges for c-cores; I don't have them all.

Especially for 6C33, already a low Rp tube, low DCR transformers are very important to squeeze out maximum performance; this is easily audible.
If you look at the afore mentioned opt's you don't find dcr specs, and that is just the difference between mediocre and high quality; everything has it's price.
Power wise the cores seem sufficient, but running 250 mA DC current through the primary and asking sub 20 ohms primary DC resistance at the same time will not go with these dimensions.

Nice. Good prices. Even comparing with home made ones. Do you use them ?

No I have a welter powersupply transformer.

High german quality clean finish. The transformer is(I think) vacuum treated and even the bolts have a insulation tube to prevent noise from the core, even in detail nice no nonsense finish.

I am very satisfied with the Welter-transformer.

test review of the welter 6c33 kit.
http://www.welter-electronic.de/bilder/fertig_geraete/endstufen/testbericht_wt500_eb3_pdf_dat.pdf

frequency response of the kit.
fg_wt500mk3_.jpg

i'd parafeed them to be honest but.....one monoblock would weight 50kg then :)).
For now a custom made opt is still the best solution. Just need good iron. I have a place to wind them.

@Pieter - Please send me a message with the price for some c-cores(double). Oriented grain sillica steel.

Especially for 6C33, already a low Rp tube, low DCR transformers are very important to squeeze out maximum performance; this is easily audible.
If you look at the afore mentioned opt's you don't find dcr specs, and that is just the difference between mediocre and high quality; everything has it's price.
Power wise the cores seem sufficient, but running 250 mA DC current through the primary and asking sub 20 ohms primary DC resistance at the same time will not go with these dimensions.

The Welter HE-ET 6 specifies a Rdc of 56 OHM. 116 euro for one high-end SE- transformer. That makes DIY fun again.

The Welter HE-ET 6 specifies a Rdc of 56 OHM. 116 euro for one high-end SE- transformer. That makes DIY fun again.

56 ohm of primary DCR is more than 50% of the 6C33 Rp.
Imagine for instance a 300B opt with a primary DCR of 400 ohms....:eek:
Do you get what I mean?
Of course the lower price is nice, enhancing the fun, but, once more, if you want to squeeze out the 6C33 what is possible, these transformers are not "high end" but just mediocre.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.