• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6c33 SET (my next project). Need some feedback

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why should not tubes, not designed for audio use, turn out to do just fine for audio?
Very good sounding amplfiers are made with 6C33, SE and PP transformer coupled as well as OTL. These tubes are cheap, excellent parts for DIY projects (isn't this a DIY forum? :))
Commercial manufacturers have not that much choice; they use what is well known, widely available etc.
However, there are "well regarded" brands using 6C33 right?
Lemm is one

in the past year.... i have made some progress :)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

speakers play now

In the shortest time i showl have a pair of 6c33 monoblocks ready, and one or two pairs of high efficiency speakers ready. Just have to get the money to make some nice boxes for them.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Transformers are black art!

I think you could rephrase that to transformers are a pain in the butt..:D

Then again if you OTL then they are not..:eek:

The 6C33C is HOT, HOT, HOT...:D Changes sound over a few weeks..burn in is 12 Hrs min no HT...both heaters...Power consumption is much lower with one side running and its better than the smaller version ..Plate size maybe..However how to switch with an OP Tx is another matter..

I use mine on one heater most of the time..I think it sounds better..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
From a sound point of view..

One side sounds very "Triode"..Warm and detailed ..Both sides on sounds less warm and more focused, image is sharper..probably because the HF is sharper..

However is the trade off of power and heat worth the effort?
Well the bass drive is better, however mine is an OTL so its got current..

I think the idea of the tube being hot is understated..its very hot..
Heater power is very high..

Is it worth it..Hummmm..well I guess its up to the user to decide..

I would not leave it on with children in the room without some protection..
The case has to be able to stand the heat, if anything I think the heaters are a problem..the other problem is ..why did they not seperate the cathodes? it would have been so much more versatile..

Regards
M. Gregg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.