• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to best drive an 845?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well....I recentely found a good summary from Linlai, a new challenger:

Linlai 845-DG Overhung Filament Vacuum Tubes (pair) – LINLAI™ Global Vacuum Tubes

"However, among tube manufacturers and audiophiles it also has a consensus that: A metal plate tube by default will sound more dynamic and transparent than a graphite plate tube; and when the same plate materials are used, a ‘overhung filament’ design by default will sound more delicate and refined than other filament design."

I just compared 801A RCA carbon with 801A Hytron and can subscribe to this...The shuguang 845c Metal sound marvelous...heard a couple of 845 carbons before, but never found them interesting...not involving enough, too grainy...the metals have much more finedynamic and are more fluent/involving...

I do not seem to be the only one:

813 / GM70 amplifier with Bartolucci transformers :

"The GM70 and the 813 with graphite plate are not very good so you should use only copper plate for the GM70 and metal plate for the 813 (FU-13 Shuguang)."

Favourite 845 Tube - Tubes • Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum ...interesting how the 845c scores for 250 a pair...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.