• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

High-End preamplifier with ECC82!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, that makes it easier. You can do a common cathode stage, with a cathode follower, then feedback to the grid of the common cathode stage. Set the ratio of feedback resistor to the grid resistor (that's a series grid resistor, not the grid leak!) to 5:1. A good choice of values so as not to excessively load down the sources and, at the same time, to not have instability from stray capacitances, would be 20k and 100k. You might have to put a small cap (10-30pF) across the 100k resistor to avoid ringing. And, of course, use 1k grid stoppers to prevent oscillation.

Thank you for information, SY

Also I found nice circuit in TubeCad homepage
ccda%20pcb%20schematic.png

I guess that adding just a resistor to reduce gain is not appropriate (see attached schematic). Any suggestions?

Attachments

• TubePre.png
    TubePre.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 864
As you drew it, you have a 1k input impedance, which is asking a bit from your sources. :D I'd also look at boosting the open loop gain and increasing power supply rejection by bypassing the first stage cathode resistor (or using diode or battery bias). A CCS load for the first stage will take that even further. You absolutely want gridstoppers on both stages.

But you have a good base for experimenting.

Why? gm for ECC88 is 10 mA/V, so source impedance is low (100R). In CF mode, distortion is insanely low.

Other tubes can work, but why bother if you're already mounting some ECC88 on the chassis?

edit: Just looked at E182CC datasheet. Slightly higher gm (15mA/V) but needs a whopping 36mA per section to achieve this. If 100R source impedance is too high, then it can get you 67R if that will make a difference, though at a major cost in power supply and heat. Can't comment about linearity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.