GU-50 in Single-Ended Triode Configuration - What bias points? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2010, 10:32 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Hello!

That blog is not mine! I just looked for the triode curves of the GU50 on google and found the link, which shows the curves, some loadlines and further comments, very handy information for the thread starter.

Erik
Old 27th October 2010, 05:44 PM   #32
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

OT and personal attacks deleted. Yellow flags issued.

Stick to the subject, keep away from personal remarks.
Old 27th October 2010, 06:20 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Thanks panomaniac.
Old 28th October 2010, 03:14 PM   #34
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I am guessing you guys didn't get the message the first time. Please read post 33 again. If the rules are broken, you will spend time in the penalty box. The amount of time you spend there will be determined by how badly you choose to break the rules.

Fair enough?
Old 5th November 2010, 06:07 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Here you go.

www.wavebourn.com GU-50 Single Ended Amplifier Design
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gubernator-2.jpg (157.2 KB, 560 views)
Old 6th November 2010, 08:03 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

It seems that one alternative to make GU50 working as a triode with high anode voltage has been not presented yet. The pentode tube can also be connected as a triode by connecting screen and control grid together.
This connection forms GU50 as a "hi-mu" triode resembling much like 811A. In such connection the mu of the triode connected GU 50 is around 200...250. It requires some power to be driven and positive bias of some 7 to 8 volts when operated with 800 V anode voltage, but these are not too difficult to accomplish.

As many readers possibly know, GU50 is originally a German WW2 era tube namely LS50. It's datas can be found from the following site: http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/cgi-bin/vs4.pl

At the last page of the data available from there (section 14. ), you can find this data.

I have built such SE-amplifier with GU50 and Edcor GXSE15-8-10k transformer and the results were very satisfying. The available output power was about 15 W.

Last edited by artosalo; 6th November 2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 6th November 2010, 10:30 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Right.

If to connect all 3 grids together you can make a right-handed triode. I know that amps with pair of such "triodes" were giving 200W of output power.
Old 7th November 2010, 01:06 AM   #38
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artosalo View Post
It seems that one alternative to make GU50 working as a triode with high anode voltage has been not presented yet. The pentode tube can also be connected as a triode by connecting screen and control grid together.
Maybe because who started this 3d is newbie?

Quote:
This connection forms GU50 as a "hi-mu" triode resembling much like 811A. In such connection the mu of the triode connected GU 50 is around 200...250. It requires some power to be driven and positive bias of some 7 to 8 volts when operated with 800 V anode voltage, but these are not too difficult to accomplish.

As many readers possibly know, GU50 is originally a German WW2 era tube namely LS50. It's datas can be found from the following site: http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/cgi-bin/vs4.pl

At the last page of the data available from there (section 14. ), you can find this data.

I have built such SE-amplifier with GU50 and Edcor GXSE15-8-10k transformer and the results were very satisfying. The available output power was about 15 W.
Where is the advantage in comparison to the pentode connection? You still end up with 40-50 Kohms plate resistance I guess and same maximum plate dissipation (40W) with the additional complication of positive grid bias...!!

Old 7th November 2010, 03:41 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:

This was what I heard of at first. If you look at my original post, this was the thing I was thinking of. A high voltage Triode mode for GU-50. Which i have been strongly discouraged from doing due to the dangers :-)
Old 7th November 2010, 05:06 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikie22 View Post
This was what I heard of at first. If you look at my original post, this was the thing I was thinking of. A high voltage Triode mode for GU-50. Which i have been strongly discouraged from doing due to the dangers :-)
If you don't afraid...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LS50-3gridstogether.jpg (158.5 KB, 512 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!