10 pounds of power for $15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2010, 02:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 10 pounds of power for $15

I found these power transformers about a month ago while trolling Ebay. I bought 6 of them. They are NIB and weigh in at 10 pounds each. The mailman was not happy. The seller calls them:

NOS POWER TRANSFORMER 120 + Watt, Tube Amp #7019

Item number: 220628640284

There are 3 6.3 volt windings, a 44 volt bias winding, and a 235 HV winding. It was originally intended to operate with a voltage doubler, but I have found another solution. Use 2 transformers with a bridge rectifier on each HV winding to make two 300 volt supplies. Wire them in series, so you have 0-300-600 volt DC supplies. Just right for high powered red boards!
Old 7th July 2010, 03:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Tubelab,
Great find. I was so thrilled that I bought 2. So thrilled I neglected to change the e-bay shipping information. They will show up at my wife’s place of work.
The leads look to be old school braided fabric insulation, asbestos?
DT
Just for fun!
Old 7th July 2010, 04:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'd bite, but I have at least my weight in power transformers. I'm a reasonably skinny dude, but that's still a lot of transformers. Half of my amps have used classic iron, and half SMPS. I like the space and weight savings due to the SMPS, as well as the stiffer B+.
Old 7th July 2010, 04:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Awesome find! Thanks!
Old 7th July 2010, 05:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Tube power transformers, the one dept I was in critical short supply!
Nabbed three.
Old 7th July 2010, 06:06 AM   #6
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks George! Got two!
Old 7th July 2010, 06:11 AM   #7
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

assume gone? - I'm looking for something to power 8-EL84 in parallel SE (4/channel)
Old 7th July 2010, 12:39 PM   #8
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Yup, day late and a dollar short.
Old 7th July 2010, 12:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
assume gone?
It looks like the feeding frenzy is over for now. They may return later. I bought 3 about 5 weeks ago. I played with them and contacted the seller for 3 more. He said he had a few more. I explained that a forum post would sell a few more, but he didn't seem too interested. He said he would relist them again when he had time.

Quote:
The leads look to be old school braided fabric insulation, asbestos?
They are cloth over some sort of plastic or rubber material. These seem to be of 1960's vintage, but still new in the box. They even smell like an old transformer. Not sure about asbestos but I would wash your hands after handling. That should be the case when playing with lead solder since trace amounts of lead can be absorbed through the skin. Asbestos is only a problem if inhaled.

Quote:
I'm looking for something to power 8-EL84 in parallel SE (4/channel)
I would use an Antek toroid. Probably a 2T230. It has 2 230 volt secondaries and 2 6.3 volt secondaries.
Old 7th July 2010, 01:47 PM   #10
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

thanks Tubelab for the Antek model # - do you figure it'd run hot or just warm with 8-EL84 + 2-12ax7 class A load? - that's their spec and assume is met @ 50Hz - outputs will be Hammond 1K2 as already bought years ago. Does it make more sense sonically to pick a higher voltage then go with choke input and tube rectifier or will the solid state rectification sometimes sound "better"?? - only SE I built was parallel 2a3 with 5842q with solid state diodes on the output and tube rectifier on the 5842q

Last edited by freddi; 7th July 2010 at 01:51 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!