• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GU-50 PP amp project - Any favs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A while back I bought a bunch of these tubes and sockets and put them aside awaiting time and motivation to use them. I am now at a point where I'd like to put them to use. I'd like to build a PP amp preferably using octal support tubes. I've done a bit of searching here and on Google and found a few interesting things but none yet that scream "build me". I've also looked at a few classic KT88 designs to possibly modify. I figured it would be best to post here before I get to far along and get some input from people with experience with these.
Does anyone have any sage advice or any favorite PP amp designs for these?

Thanks,
Dave

First of all, you need to think about output and power transformers, before thinking about octal tubes. GU-50 amp needs 8K P-P tranny capable of 100 Watt on rated bandwidth. It is not so easy to get good transformers with such parameters.

Also, you will need 12V 4A for filaments, 250-300V for screen grids and 700-900V for plates.

Are you scared already? :eek:

Last edited:
Try this one:
Google Translate
Seite 1 Startseite

Wavebourn: What do you think about this one. Maybe you could help us figure out how to make these transformers (for US) or better yet separate them (power xfmrs) into several smaller (modular type psu).?? I KNOW you've the skill and talent for it!!! Or use it as a launching platform for a different design here... maybe even group buy project? OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, GU-50 OTLs.... now that's to drool for!!

Last edited:
First of all, you need to think about output and power transformers, before thinking about octal tubes. GU-50 amp needs 8K P-P tranny capable of 100 Watt on rated bandwidth. It is not so easy to get good transformers with such parameters.

Also, you will need 12V 4A for filaments, 250-300V for screen grids and 700-900V for plates.

Are you scared already? :eek:

What do you think of GU-50 designs with around 400 volt on the plates en 5K or 6K outputtransformers ?

My amp with 8xGU50 per channel in progress!
Ua=640V, Ug2=300V, Auto-bias, P~2x200W

Attachments

• 008a.jpg
    008a.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 775
  • DSC_0145a.jpg
    DSC_0145a.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 753
  • DSC_0144a.jpg
    DSC_0144a.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 763
Tubes for input and drive are 2 dissimilar duo-triode13DR7 with inter-stage transformers (1+1:1+1; 10k:2,5k+2,5k; my own construction, calculated and winding in my hoby room).
I still have not the whole scheme drawn, but I will show you very soon.
Currently I'm looking for a suitable analogue VU-meter (large, but not too expensive!), and the entire project was temporarily stopped.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.