• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6AV6 => 12AX7 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
It's two years on and I hope he didn't build it.

Whatever, I'm just adding that I'd prefer to change the 6AV6 for a 6AQ4 if it had to be done.

on the other audiok*.org website, same moniker you can see what I built. 12AX7 driving 6L6GC. In a moment of insanity I sold it, now I am looking over my notes again since I want another tube amplifier but health does not allow me to build one. Thinking about a small SE EL84 / 6V6 unfortunately we've got 240V here and many Chinese amps are sold and are spec'd as being able to work at that voltage yet the two that I received both ran far too hot and filament voltages were far too high. As usual misrepresentation and once paid you will not get your money back.

Thinking of compromising and getting the Audio Space PP with SMPS. Well regarded except I do not like PP.

You see that all the time, and it just ain't so. Take a look at the specs: 12AX7: Pd= 1200mW. 6AV6: Pd= 500mW. That, right there, ougth to tell you that one 6AV6 != 1/2 12AX7.

I doubt anyone ever runs their 12AX7s/6AV6s that hard. 1.2ma * 250V is 300mW, and often half of that is in the plate resistor (say B+ is 250V, and a 100K plate resistor). Looking at the two tubes, I'd find it hard to believe that a 6AV6 plate can't handle as much as a 12AX7 plate anyway. The 6AV6 plate looks bigger.

Anyway, below 500mW Pd, the 6AV6 is the same as half a 12AX7.

Has any built one ?

Hi, I have built 2 of these amps in use for guitar amps .... the 6av6 is an easy tube to use as they are easy to wire in , hey use the same components , they are quieter , they are much cheaper , they come with so many makers that one can have mullards , brimars , rca's ... etc

I just wired the diodes to ground .....added shielding.

and used two for every 12ax7....the only difference is the heater uses twice that of 12ax7 ....but there is an equivalent !!! a 6aq6 heater is the same as 12ax7 but has a gain of u70 but same pins...rarer than 6av6

What I liked about these is you can run 6at7 and 6av7 for desirable sounds...

they were used in two SE 6L6G and they worked well. With such good sound quality its hard to reason why one would use 12ax7 for home builds

I am now considering a 6L6 push/pull stereo using these tubes as ihave no doubt the sound quality will be good ....

the 6c4 is also another good choice ....pin different though... 1/2 a 12AU7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.