• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Getting the DIYer blues again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
More things to ponder...

38_open0_1.jpg

I'm just a schmuck with a soldering iron... I'm wasting my time... I should stop building crap and start buying beautiful made audio gear...

The layout of that preamp brought tears to my eyes.

The workmanship is truly fine, beautiful or not. However, it appears to be an expression of madness.

From the same website:

"Luxman select the color paint used on the resistors (to identify value & tolerance) based on extensive listening tests."

Anyone who listens to the sound of color paint, needs more than just my business.

I'm just a schmuck with a soldering iron... I'm wasting my time... I should stop building crap and start buying beautiful made audio gear...

The layout of that preamp brought tears to my eyes.

QUOTE]
I think you need to evaluate what your goals and priorities are.
If appearance is the primary goal, you are indeed wasting your time building prototype pieces.

I am involved so I can learn something. While I do want my efforts to look presentable, and I demand they can't electrocute the cats, appearance is certainly not my priority.

To each his own.

Doug

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
"Luxman select the color paint used on the resistors (to identify value & tolerance) based on extensive listening tests."
/QUOTE]

Yeah I read that and reached the same conclusion as you: madness.

appearance is certainly not my priority./QUOTE]

Neither is mine. I call beautiful a work well executed, nothing to do with aesthetics a priori. I just marveled at that layout, people talked about the chassis, none seemed to noticed what was unusual with that layout: it was a masterwork. That attention to detail, that beauty, yes things well organized are beautiful...
Hats off to the Japanese, I really admire their work and if money were not an issue I would buy Luxman and maybe Shindo gear. I would leave this diy audio habit just as I quit basketball because I wasn't good enough.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.