YAQIN SD-32A Tube CD/HDCD Player - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Rodango is offline Rodango  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Rodango Send a message via Yahoo to Rodango
Default YAQIN SD-32A Tube CD/HDCD Player

Since selling my Shanling SCD-T200C, I have missed having a high-performance CD player. The Yaqin SD-32A caught my eye and I especially found the fact that it used 6SN7s particularly fascinating. But I found there to be a dearth of reviews on it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Has anyone auditioned or own of these? Any comments? I have one on its way to me and plan to write a review.
Old 18th July 2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Stixx is offline Stixx  Germany
I am
diyAudio Member

I somehow have a problem with most of the chinese gear...
They obviously spend most of the effort in the case and the stylish
looks... but I'm afraid the innards will be quite standard and the
6SN7's are being used to make the whole deal sound syrupy and "tube-like".
Hope your review will come out better!
Old 25th July 2009, 05:06 AM   #3
Rodango is offline Rodango  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Rodango Send a message via Yahoo to Rodango
Default Review

Well, its review time, My SD-32A showed up today. I did some tube rolling, listening and have formed some opinions which I share with you.

The box arrived in nice shape from the Canadian Yaqin dealer who sells on eBay. The unit was nicely double boxed, wrapped in a plastic bag and weighed in at 25 pounds 5.6 oz. A nice looking futuristic feeling unit, see photo above. It gave the impression of being solid and well built. At least externally The octal sockets for the two 6SN7s are porcelain. The remote is a hefty chunk of metal which could make a formidable projectile to be used on guests who don't appreciate your music choices.

The rest of my system consists of a modified Ming-Da Meixing MC67-HA preamp with all Sylvania 7308 signal path tubes, Clearview CXR-22 active crossover, a custom built (by me) KT88-based stereo power amp which uses CV-1932 preamps, JAN-CHS 6SN7 phase splitters and Gold Lion KT88s. Oh yes, and my 1KW 15" subwoofer

So let's try this thing out. Remember I sold my ultra modified Shanling SCD-T200C and bought this player to replace it.

I like mostly New Age and the music that I use for reference comparisons is "Andalu" by Chris Spheeris, "Falling through Time" by 2002 and "Almost a Whisper" by Yani. Also select tracks from Exchange, Lesiem, and others.

My first impression is that the mids were lacking. There were plenty of highs but mids and therefore the framework of the music was missing. The Chinese 6N8Ps got pulled and I headed for my tube cellar. I emerged with a set of '44 JAN-CHS Sylvania 6SN7s, a set of '45 USN VT124 Sylvania 6SN7GTs and a set of '47 triangle plate Sylvania 6SN7GTBs.

I tried the '44s first. What an improvement. All of the music was there but there was a bit of 'tizzieness". So I tried the '45s. They sounded the same. Concern crept into my heart and I thought to myself "I wonder if this player could use a nice set of Rusian Teflon coupling caps?"

But when I dropped in the '47s, my fears were laid to rest. At last the full spectrum of music was there. The spectral distribution was finally there along with the pace, rithym and punch that I had enjoyed with the Shanling. Not to say that a tweak here or there wouldn't be warranted...

But the bottom line is that at $500 this player is giveaway priced. You cannot go wrong at 3 times the price. Four times may be pushing it. But in my opinion, this player is one hell of a buy. Bravo!

Old 25th July 2009, 06:03 AM   #4
athos56 is offline athos56  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I just couldn't have it in my living room. Give me a square black case with a tray and a light to tell me its on. If I was Dr Who I might have one in the Tardis.
Old 3rd January 2010, 07:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I just purchased one of these CD players and am quite pleased with the build quality. Typical Chinese junk it's not. Fit and finish is better in person than in the internet pictures which is a rarity for this type of equipment. What looks like metal is. Very substantial build with all metal cabinetry and thick solid aluminum plate. No plastic other than the transport. Ugliest tube shields ever made but they are easily removable and quite unnecessary. Nice interior component layout paying ample attention to shielding through the use of multiple chassis. Decent circuit boards, not those awful cheap red boards found in most Chinese equipment. Transformer is about 1/3 of the size of the case it's in, but most of the Chinese components I've seen seem to be like this. Not sure if I like the blue LED's, but my 17yr old daughter does (matter of taste I guess). I will not comment on the sonics at this time. All I will say is it has a lovely wide and deep soundstage with excellent separation of instruments and plenty of detail, bass is deep but somewhat tubby. HDCD function works perfectly as well. Oh almost forgot, I shoved a pair of Ken Rad staggered plate VT231's in it just for grins.
Old 13th June 2010, 02:58 AM   #6
rubli is offline rubli  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to rubli
Default Transport

I bought one of these, I am preety dissapointed with the transport, it keeps skipping, the seller is not of much help.
anybody knows which decent transport I could install , instead of the one that comes from factory ?

thanx

alexander
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12062010309.jpg (494.0 KB, 653 views)
Old 13th June 2010, 03:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Transport

I bought one of these, I am preety dissapointed with the transport, it keeps skipping, the seller is not of much help.
anybody knows which decent transport I could install , instead of the one that comes from factory ?

thanx

alexander
Old 15th June 2010, 03:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Smile Yaqin SD32A repair

Hi Alexander

I had exactly the same problem with my CD player 'skipping', but the repair is surprisingly easy.

The problem is that there is a malformed tooth on the plastic White Cog that is fitted to the top of the CD motor. Simply open it up, motor the CD tray out, and you will see a White Cog which is the largest one in there. Get a magnifying glass and check the teeth. You will find one with a malformed 'web' with some excess 'flashing' filling the gap. Simply remove (carefully) with a scalpal. Job done! No more skipping!

Took me ages to figure it out! Lol!
Old 15th June 2010, 04:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Transport

Sorry, meant to say 'open it from the top, not the bottom like you have in the thumbnail image, although you can see the cog I am talking about between the two PCB's in that pic'

the 'peak' of one of the teeth might be left a bit 'stumpy' but that is OK. Carefully move the laser across it's track after to make sure there are no 'tight spots' left, and it moves smoothly.

Shouldn't have to fettle equipment like this nowadays.....
Old 6th August 2010, 01:58 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

thanks Matt, sorry for the delay

I will unpack the unit again, and inspect the white cog, as you mention.

still the question is in the air, is there a (commercial) replacement fro the whole transport ?
best regards
and thanx
Alexander

Hide this!Advertise here!