• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Frank’s 6SN7 preamp/linestage

Not 100 percent this is still the defined component value set?

Attachments

• 6sn7_cf.gif
    6sn7_cf.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 5,838
PCB?

A PCB for Frank's preamp? Oh my, why would you when point to point wiring is so easy? I'da know, cause this is easier for me?

Your thoughts on this would be grand. Could have errors as I have not spent much time on it. I have new amps, speakers and now to round out the project I added a DIY pre. All projects in the oven cooking in the kitchen. The speakers and amp are ready for assembly and I'm concurrently working on them.

Cheerio!

Attachments

• frank_pcb_a.jpg
    frank_pcb_a.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 4,827
Power?

I found this schematic(Aburquerque Power supply) searching through DIY(and Frank's pre) too.

I have not yet done a PCB for PWR but I think I could muster one in a jiffy. Oh no! Solid state PWR! Why? Hey guys I'm hard core on sound but there has to be a limit. My ears have limitations. I hop yee-all understand. I know it is not everybody's cup of tea when it comes to DIY valves.

Aburquerque Power:

Attachments

• albq_poindexter_power.gif
    albq_poindexter_power.gif
    10 KB · Views: 5,051
SUGGESTION

If you already have this 6SN7s at hand and are willing to make it, just take a quick look at the RPA preamp on my webpage www.tubeaudio.8m.com

The line stage of the RPA uses ECC82, but since the sub is the same, you can copy all values and make it with the 6SN7.

It will sound way, way, better. Maybe you should first try the original schematic posted, and than change to the suggested RPA line stage, just to understand why I wrote the above.

For the power supply, try to stay unregulated, with chokes and eventually a tube rectifier (like 5Y3).

Regards,
Alex

korneluk said:
Alex is talking about the line stage part of the preamp (which is also DC coupled). I only see one cap at the output... just substitute a 6SN7 for the 12AU7.

I wasn't responding to Alex, I was responding to mosfets. There are 3 caps in the version of Frank's preamp that he wants to build. IMHO Frank's DC coupled version is a better choice.

CCDGC

Yes, I use those or a similar type of gain stages troughout my preamp designs, since I like them very much.

Broskie gave it a name - CCDGC. At the time internet in Serbia was a very disputable affair :) Anyway, this is not about "who did it first" but about the fact that the topology is one of the very best.

Regarding the PCB, I was surprised to find out that a lot of those who have made the line section of the RPA preamp have used my PCB design, care of a good friend - Elvis (his site is nowhere to be found, he seems to have vanished from internet tube life) to whom I sent the design files.

When it comes to the other "similar" schematics, yes I do not like the superfluous caps (I cannot see a valid purpose for the one before the grid of the first triode). And, what I actually do not like is that the first triode draws too little current, while the second actually drives too much current (yes, there is such a thing as too much current, even for cathode followers).

Well, if you want to have the first one draw more, and the second one draw less, in the end there is no reason why should they not drive the same current (in counterphase, thus "constant current draw"). Eventually I stumbled upon the Broskie line stage and adopted his "additional" resistor on the cathode follower as a good idea. Else, I would have ommitted it just like in the gain blocks of the phono stage...

Anyway, the RPA actually has a 5670 implementation of this stage, and over the years several different versions were implemented with various tubes by various people, every time with good results.

I don't suppose it'll sound any the worse for it, except that I'd use better rectifier diodes, Those 1N004 and similar are noisy. A better choice IMHO would be ultrafast recovery or Schottky diodes.

The problem with 1Nxxx is not noise! It's the fact that they are solid state diodes. Some people tend to solve the problem by aggravating it (in my opinion) by using ultrafast recovery diodes...

Actually, there is just no comparison between tube rectifiers and ss diodes. To try and hear is to believe. Since I plugged my first GZ34, I cannot imagine doing a power supply with ss diodes...

And the worst thing there is that actually the GZ34 is not the best sounding rectifier -- actually, its somewhere in the lower half when sound is compared. Direct heated tube rectifiers generally sound way better than indirect.

Some will find these statements offending, but most probably they have not tried tube rectifiers for themselves. Sometimes it is better to try than blindly believe what you hear/say of read!

That said, democracy teaches us to be tollerant of those who use SS diodes :D

Re: CCDGC

Alex Kitic said:
If you already have this 6SN7s at hand and are willing to make it, just take a quick look at the RPA preamp on my webpage www.tubeaudio.8m.com

The line stage of the RPA uses ECC82, but since the sub is the same, you can copy all values and make it with the 6SN7.

It will sound way, way, better. Maybe you should first try the original schematic posted, and than change to the suggested RPA line stage, just to understand why I wrote the above.

For the power supply, try to stay unregulated, with chokes and eventually a tube rectifier (like 5Y3).

Regards,
Alex

I have good number of Sylvania 6SN7 made in Canada, in original packaging! I’ll look at the RPA line stage. Thanks!

leadbelly said:
3 caps, ouch! Any reason why you don't like Franks's DC coupled version?
I was not aware of it. I’ll snoop around on DIY to see if I can find it. Thanks!

athos56 said:
Alex's line stage looks like a CCD line stage I was going to do. If you look at the TCJ article here and here you might find further explanation.

I’m going to check it out tonight, cheers.

Alex Kitic said:
Broskie gave it a name - CCDGC. At the time internet in Serbia was a very disputable affair :)
Regarding the PCB, I was surprised to find out that a lot of those who have made the line section of the RPA preamp have used my PCB design.
Boy, you certainly like your RPA. I’ll do some looking into that.

ray_moth said:

Why not? I don't suppose it'll sound any the worse for it, except that I'd use better rectifier diodes, Those 1N004 and similar are noisy. A better choice IMHO would be ultrafast recovery or Schottky diodes.

I couldn’t agree more. Will do! And yes it will be a solid state power supply for certain.

Thank you folks for the input. I’ll be back with some results or more questions.

So now we have three line stages from Frank. From a paper stand point, it is kinda hard to make a decision. I may end up making two ala the post "running in circles" as the ultimate project looks similar to another I buillt years ago.

I've cemented my decision typing this post. Athos56 post #15: I'll build boards for both options. It's funny, I've over looked that diagram a hundred times thinking somebody was depicting A & B channels of the same:xeye:

I've been mulling over these threads for months now. The more I read the less I can see. ;)

Thanks a mint chaps!