• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I am done with AES -- a short rant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am done with AES -- a short rant. Post #1 A while back, I needed some 6688s, so I called up AES (tubesandmore.com). At the time, 6688's were about $2 per tube. I was told that they has 13 in stock, 12 of which were quads by brand. Additionally, I was informed that they would not pick brands unless I paid an extra dollar per tube. This meant that if I wanted the 12 in quads, I would have to pay an extra $12. I bought all thirteen. Indeed, the sales guy acted like he was totally put out that I would ask for him to sell me anything at all. Cut to some time later, I wanted some 7722s. I told them, explicitly, that I didn't care what brand they were, but they needed to be the same brand. They said that was fine, and sent me a bunch of singles. I sent them back, paid shipping both ways, and got a refund. Frustrating. The other day, I called them and said I needed some tubes. For one particular type I said I again didn't care about brand, but they needed to be the same brand and same construction. These particular tubes were on sale for about $35 each (which is what every other vendor sells them for). I was told that for them to check, I would have to pay the non-sale price plus $1 per tube. I asked them to look at my account, at the $1000 I've spent there in the last couple of years, and perhaps find a pair of tubes. He said he wouldn't, but that he'd leave a note to the picker to find a pair. They arrived today, and are indeed made by the same manufactirer, but are structurally quite different. Additionally, I asked for a pair of another type (these only $20 per). For some reason, he was willing to go pick them himself in this case, but not open the boxes. They are, again, same manufacturer but different construction -- which, quite frankly, could be determined from the different printing on the boxes, but he neglected to tell me that. Further, I asked for a 12FQ6 (a noval dual triode) and they shipped me a 12SQ7 (a worthless piece of garbage.) There was one tube, worth $4, they got right. So, $135 later I have a pile of useless tubes, and one good one. So, the thing is, who are these people that they think I want their castoffs? I understand they are having a sale and that tube boxes can be a pain to look through, but this was not insignificant money, I was not asking for matched pairs of $1 tubes, and I have been a good customer for a while. I am sure there are plenty of good dealings with AES, and I have had a few myself, but three bad transactions is enough for me. So, I am done with them. The shipping is too slow and too expensive, and if they can't make the extra effort, neither can I. And, the guys are vacuumtubes.net and radio daze are nicer anyway.

I can see why you're p*i*s*s*e*d...I buy from AES quite often, but not for tubes!

When you buy NOS tubes from ANYONE, you're taking a big chance (especially eBay!) I've never sold them in quantity, but I would imagine matching plate structures, bottle shape, brand names and date codes would be an enormous task, when you consider the thousands of tubes they sell. However, there's no excuse for DOA tubes.

I don't even think about the new production small signal tubes they sell as well, because they don't match or balance the triodes.

Working as a shipping clerk for many years, I can tell you they're very skimpy with the padding. And that thick brown paper doesn't do a very good job...I've received badly dented transformers because of this!

They DO have great prices on many items, like caps and trannies.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Doug,
Nice looking amp.. :D One of these days I will go on a quest for a match set of 71A myself. Mine are fairly well hidden under a Hammond cage so not immediately apparent.

I have two "matched" pairs, unfortunately one of each is factory or mis-handling defective and the two pairs aren't matched.. A small assortment of stragglers also lurk in my tube stash.. I think QC on this type went to pot pretty quickly in the early years of the depression.

Glad it ended well..:D

n_maher said:
Love the panel meter, Doug!

It's actually practical. This is a generic supply that gets used for an assortment of headphone amps as well as for testing others.

http://www.ecp.cc/SSS.html
http://www.ecp.cc/less-pressivo-plus-plus.html
http://www.ecp.cc/less-pressivo-plus.html

The supply is a raw cLCRC with Electa-Print PT and choke, a Mullard GZ34, and Blackgate caps which would frankly be too expensive to reproduce. The single supply allows for building lots of additional amps without too much financial outlay. The meter lets me make sure that everything is working as it should.

Digging up an old thread here.

Some time ago, must have been about 2002, I was a tech at an audio restoration center. We restored late '70s - early '80s stereos, as well as tube gear. I did all the tube stuff, and did the FM tuners and open-reel tape decks. This is what I did all day. We got in an MR-71 which I restored, new caps and tubes, and full alignment. I did the alignment and went to check performance. It was off, I had to do some troubleshooting, and the performance came back a bit but distortion was still off. I was mystified until I pulled the tubes and checked them again. Many were weak, which was kinda funny since they were good when we got them from AES. We ordered more from I don't know who and the tuner met spec, and was on it's way.

I'm not saying AES is bad; it's nice to have options. But many used tubes, having been on the shelf awhile, will perform better for awhile. And many tubes were squirreled away by techs back in the day; we have no way of knowing which ones will burn in to be good ones.

I was a little disappointed in AES for marketing them as new tubes when in fact they didn't know or go to the trouble to find out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.