• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube phono amp repair/redesign help wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Originally #50 posted by SY
R7 may not be needed. I've seen resistors used in that position to prevent oscillation, so perhaps that was the original function?

R6 adds noise, indeed, but this is a MM preamp, so compared with the equivalent noise resistance of the cartridge... say, wasn't that YOUR argument?

Hello,
the problem isn't that R6 "adds" noise ...

Does anyone know why there is a cascode stage at the input? ;)

The attachment shows the "original" schematic

Kind regards,
Darius

Attachments

• riaa_funkschau_1964_cascode.zip
    28 KB · Views: 105
dikarner said:
Then I'm also waiting for oshifis to return and share his insights on the sonical improvements since using these resistors.
Sorry, I was away. I think the contribution of resistors to sonic quality is proportional to their voltage coefficient and to their noise at the particular position. But the major factor is the ratio of output voltage change per resistor value change (i.e. sensitivity). In other words, the larger is the change of the output voltage per resistor value change, the bigger is its influence to the sound. It also depends on whether they are connected to a high impedance or to a low impedance point. This is my theory, not necessarily true.

That said, I think the bigger influence points are R6, R7, then the RIAA resistors R8, R9, R10, and finally R12, R41, R42.

I can imagine a test where the resistors would be changed by 10% one-by-one and the output voltage change would be be precisely measured for each of them. Or use a SPICE simulation in order to determine the sensitivity of the output voltage to each resistor value change. Edit: where the resistance change is caused by the AC voltage on the resistor. The one causing the largest change has the most influence to the sound, and using an audio grade resistor is validated at that position.

One more thing: you don't need 0.01% tolerance. 1% should be fine. If the prices are prohibitive, consider Mills MRA-5 or MRA-12 wirewound resistors. Low inductance, low noise, audio quality, and relatively small size for the power. They were around 6 Euros over here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.