6v6 pp amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2008, 04:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6v6 pp amplifier

Hello everybody,

I love triode sound, but my SE amp similar to Tubelab's Simple SE (that space was for you, George) just doesn't have the power, even to drive my Fostex FE127 Bi-Poles, and one of my buddies has a whole box of 6v6s. as well, I notice that there are about 50 old Magnavox 6v6 PP amps on ebay at any given time, and I was wondering what kind of power I could expect out of it if I shorted it to Triode mode, I know the 6v6 doesn't work well as a Triode (something about grid current, its over my head...) but I wanted to know how well it would work.

Even if I had to buy two cheap 6v6 amps, I'd be happy to, if it would give some sweet Triode tunes. As well, the amp will (for the time being) be actively crossed (DSP, sorry guys) at 100hz to a sub so a top of line OPT is not really that important.

6v6s seem alot cheaper than 2a3s, that the way I see it....

-Moose
Old 15th June 2008, 05:00 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Talk to me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Ikaika i ka mele,

Poinz
Old 15th June 2008, 06:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 6v6 pp amplifier

Quote:
Originally posted by alexmoose
I know the 6v6 doesn't work well as a Triode (something about grid current, its over my head...)
6V6's are incredibly linear in triode mode and, as far as I know, have a great reputation. Using 2.5K 10W SE transformers, you can expect about 6W from 6V6's in paralleled SET, maybe a little more if you can drive them into A2 using a cathode follower or something. THEN you'd have some grid current, but for normal pure class A, you don't have to worry about grid current at all.
Old 15th June 2008, 08:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Poinz,

That looks like a rockin' little circuit. Simple, to the point and triode. I'll have to try that

Quote:
6V6's are incredibly linear in triode mode and, as far as I know, have a great reputation.
Hence their popularity in some line pre's

Cheers!
Old 15th June 2008, 09:06 AM   #5
Svein_B is offline Svein_B  Norway
diyAudio Member

Tom Schlangen has traced triode and UL curves for 6V6 and may other popular tubes:

http://www.tubes.mynetcologne.de/roe..._triode_e.html

SveinB.
Old 15th June 2008, 10:47 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Poinz,

Quote:
Talk to me.
Sure: Any reason why loading the driver anodes so severely by the following grid leaks? After all, for AC conditions 43k || 100k = 30k.

Regards,

Tom Schalngen
Old 15th June 2008, 12:26 PM   #7
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

My sweetest sounding amp top to bottom is a 27/6v6 in triode SE w/ 5 K OT's. Doesn't give an inch to my 45 or 300B amps & maybe even beats em up a little..
J & G
Old 15th June 2008, 03:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Moose,

You may spend less buying all new parts. The Edcor XPP15-8-8K O/P trafo is inexpensive. That "iron" would allow you to try both multi-amped and "full range" operation with triode wired 6V6 family tubes.

To get full HF extension, some linearizing loop NFB around the Edcor O/P trafo is (IMO) appropriate. May I immodestly suggest you build an "El Cheapo". EC owes much to the "Musical Machine" design Poinz posted. However, EC is a bang for the buck project, rather than an all out assault on SotA.
Old 15th June 2008, 08:02 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Tom,

100K is the limit; the grid circuit resistance rating of the 6V6 in fixed bias.  I tried going to 150K, and nothing bad happened, but the rez got a little lower.

Poinz
Old 15th June 2008, 08:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The original reason I though of this was looking at Tom's curves (thank you, Tom!)

Is there any difference at all between Parallel single-ended operation, and Push Pull class A? I don't remember there being a difference, other than the OPT is a lot cheaper for Push pull.

Buying new may indeed be cheaper, but the cheapEST would be using crap I have lying around (i thought of this immediately after posting last night). I have a 300-0-300v transformer from an Air-Chief, that I will never get around to fixing, and a perfectly good (looking) RCA 5Y3 with it. I still need some OPTS, and the 6v6s themselves, but that isn't too much.

Thank you all so much for your responses

-Moose

Hide this!Advertise here!