• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6v6 pp amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are not Electrostatic, however they are Planar Magnetic (its a common misconception, I thought that for a while and I own a pair). However, they both suffer from the same shortcomings when it comes to driving them with a vacuum tube/

My first priority is getting the Fostex done right, the Maggies are just gravy, I'll keep it in Class A. Thanks for the explanation, and i'll keep it around 350-380 volts.

I learned to tie the supressor to the plate from an article in Glass Audio.  The guy was taste-testing tubes to build a PP amp with. He ended up with the 812, which is evidently a monster if you can implement it.  Down somewhere near the bottom of his list (but still above all the common outputs) was the EL34, with a notation in the comments column, 'sounds better with supressor tied to plate.'  I tried it, and I thought so too.  I took the screen to the plate with a fewHundredΩ resistor, and the supressor directly.  When I learned the diode wrinkle from Al Marcy (TubeGarden), I tried various ways of attaching the supressor into the plot, and this sounds the best to me.  My hearing is definitely fallible, so you are encouraged to do your own spearmintation about this; it's simple enough to screw, ah, develop with.

Aloha,

Poinz

Moose,

"Maggies" exhibit a tube friendly flat impedance curve. 4 Ohm speaker taps are fine. The problem with "Maggies" is their INTENSE hunger for power. A H/K Cit. 2 in good repair is what you need in the way of tubed power amplification in combination with MagnePlanar speakers. One of the big, honking, Class "A" PP designs Doug P. (Bandersnatch) is fond of would be OK too. PP triode wired 6V6s and "Maggies"? No way, Jose!!!

Eli Duttman said:
Moose,

"Maggies" exhibit a tube friendly flat impedance curve. 4 Ohm speaker taps are fine. The problem with "Maggies" is their INTENSE hunger for power. A H/K Cit. 2 in good repair is what you need in the way of tubed power amplification in combination with MagnePlanar speakers. One of the big, honking, Class "A" PP designs Doug P. (Bandersnatch) is fond of would be OK too. PP triode wired 6V6s and "Maggies"? No way, Jose!!!

I've run Maggies off of my PP 6V6 amp (Tetrode wired) and it was okay. It wouldn't get up to concert-levels,but it was fine for casual listening,and some 'background' music at parties.
It really wasn't too bad,it worked out better than I had expected.

Okay, I love the EL34 design, and I can already feel my paychecks slipping away, could I use an LM337 to get the -22volts? it would be easier to regulate it it that way, then Bias voltage could be tweaked if necessary.

I would be afraid to use a regulated voltage on the -66 though, it seems like the regulator might get in a fight with the 10M45 chip, right?

Well first of all you will need more than -22V (this was the bias voltage for 6V6s) for the EL34 bias supply, and it needs to be adjustable. I don't see much advantage to regulating the bias supply if your plate supply isn't regulated as well. I made monos and can adjust each EL34 individually. Poinz' design feeds the same bias voltage to each pair, requiring closely matched pairs of tubes. I'd have to think about whether it would be better to regulate the tail supply. The CCS is set for a given current and will sink that current over a wide voltage range. I do recommend cascoding the 10M45s though. Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.