• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Edcor OPT in S5 Electronics K-16LS kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Still waiting for My Edcor Opts

As raved about above, I called Edcor and ordered a set of opts. Has anyone used molex connectors for quick disconnect of circuit boards. I am tempted but am cautious. I also wondered what type of a beating these tubes can take. I have already removed them from the board a couple of times for retro fitting in a cabinet. I assume that they are more fragile when hot so I don't move the unit shortly after operating. It also gives the Caps a chance to discharge due to the lack of resistors.

I am great full for all of the comments out there from new and old. Thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of us.

Take care,

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hey guys, thanks for all the effort and advice I've found here on this amp!

I gave one to my son for Christmas, and he's got the board finished, nice simple project, a great way for him to learn how to solder!

We're going to complete the kit as stock and after a listen, I'm going to suggest that he make some of the mods that everyone's come up with (PS caps & bleeder resistors, signal caps, snubbers, diodes, etc.)

I have an old pair of Bose 501's that he can use (4ohm) so we can get an idea of the sound. But, ultimately, we're doing a speaker build with AR4x's that need rebuilding/modding, so likely we'll be wanting 8 ohm taps.

The OPT's are obviously the highest cost, so we'll have to evaluate whether or not they are "neccessary," can someone tell me how much they are?

Also, I have never ordered tranformers before, is there a part # at Edcor, or should I just ask about the OPT's for a, "S-5 K16LS"?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The transformer part numbers I used are in the first entry of this thread......Edcor CXPP25-8-5K.

I selected these based on suggestions from others in this forum. They were about $50 each I think. The Edcor website has lots of info and you can order on-line from them.

I am not 100% sure that these transformers have both 4 and 8 ohm taps. They may, I just can't recall. Edcor website has the data.

problem

Hi All,

I've just purchased the CXPP25-8-5K OT's for my K16LS, but am having trouble installing them.

After reading through the advice on this thread, I connected up both Edcor OT's with the red, brown and blue wires connecting to the corresponding RD (red), BN (brown) and BL (blue) on the board. Then I connected up the OT's yellow and white wires to the corrosponding GN (green) and BL (black). The white/blue and white/brown screen wires have been taped off.

My problem is when I turn on the amp, I immediately get a fairly loud hum, and can just faintly hear the music. I double checked all the connections, but couldn't get it to work.

When I swapped back to the original OT's, it worked fine. This is my first adventure into DIY tube amps, and I am probably just missing something basic here, but for the life of me, I can't work it out!

If anyone can help me, that would be fantastic!

Cheers,
Paul

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Most likely you wired Edcors wrong; wire colors may or may not be the same for them as for the original trafos. Pls see a working example of K-8LS with Edcors:
444d1309999228-s5-electronics-l-series-tube-amps-img_0327.jpg

Last edited:
I've attached a photo showing how I have wired them in, which as far as I can tell is correct. I also tested the connections with a meter to make sure the solder joints are ok.

I still have the problem that I get a reasonably loud hum as soon as the amp is switched on.

Another weird thing is that if the ground lug on the right channel touches the red speaker plug, the hum disappears and I get sound out of the right channel only. The most worrying thing is that the power transformer starts to smell like its overheating after a few moments, so I switch it off after a few seconds.

Again, if I switch back to original OT's, everything is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0080   IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080 IMG_0080.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 380
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I'm completely new to tube amplifiers and was wanting to do this Edcor Output Transformer mod listed. I notice the output is rated for 8ohms, however, I would like to power 4ohm speakers. Can this be done with the following transformer as a straight drop in without additional modifications: CXPP25-8-2.5K?

I think it is the other way around. I think that would give you a 1.25K load on a 4 ohm speaker. (The ratio between them stays the same) There is this guy CXPP25-6-7.6K with a 7.6k load at 6 ohms. That should give you about 5K on the plate with a 4 ohm speaker. There is also it's little brother GXPP15-4-5K which has a 5K load on a 4 ohm speaker. I ordered a pair of the 10 watt GXPPs for my S5 K-12, but they have not come yet, so I don't know if they are a substantial improvement over the stock ones. I will post my findings when I know.

I think it is the other way around. I think that would give you a 1.25K load on a 4 ohm speaker. (The ratio between them stays the same) There is this guy CXPP25-6-7.6K with a 7.6k load at 6 ohms. That should give you about 5K on the plate with a 4 ohm speaker. There is also it's little brother GXPP15-4-5K which has a 5K load on a 4 ohm speaker. I ordered a pair of the 10 watt GXPPs for my S5 K-12, but they have not come yet, so I don't know if they are a substantial improvement over the stock ones. I will post my findings when I know.

Thanks Jpeg! I get how it works now and I'm assuming I can just swap these in without any further mods elsewhere in the schematic? I was looking at the GXPP15-4-5K but I noticed that it's only rated for 15W but the K16 is 16W...does the 1W make a whole lot of difference?

You should be able just hook it up as is. The Edcore will have a ultra-linear tap that you won't use, make sure you insulate this well, it will have somthing like 250 volts on it. I wouldn't worry about using a 15 what transformer on this particular amp. In a review of the K12 http://diyaudioprojects.com/Tubes/K-12M/audioXpress-review-of-S5-Electronics-K-12M-Tube-Amp-Kit.pdf they say that it actually only puts out about 4.5 watts and in order to get 8 watts out of it, you have to push it to the point of 28% distortion. I have not seen measurements on the K-16ls but I would expect them to be similar. I would expect better bass performance from the larger ones though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.