• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes many times tried. They used to be easily available and really cheap. You can also see a THD chart using those in the NFB version preamp link from post#1.
Not the most reliable as we chanced on noisy units easier than with other NOS but generally a well compatible USSR era clone and easy on the ear.

Reactions: 1 user
What is a 6EN6?
i bought a lot of them for $1 each, 12en6, along with the 12w6 beamers...i assumed that there could have been a 6 volt version... https://tubedata.wernull.com/sheets/127/1/12EN6.pdf
do not let its plate dissipation ratings bother you...i made a pp amp out of pairs of these many many years ago...
how did it sound? a lot better than a 6v6 to my ears...

Attachments

• 12EN6_back_n.jpg
    12EN6_back_n.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 12EN6_front_n.jpg
    12EN6_front_n.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 12EN6_top_n.jpg
    12EN6_top_n.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 67_n.jpg
    67_n.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 836909_n.jpg
    836909_n.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 1564434_n.jpg
    1564434_n.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone built this and tried to drive 2 power amps for bi-amping? I have a Korneff 45 for my Lowther horns and a Dayton Audio DSP plate amp for my sub. I know the Moreplay mentioned has 2 outputs with just a 220-ohm series resistor. It may sound like a silly question but I have a 6SN7 preamp right now that will NOT drive parallel loads no matter what I try (Y at first amp, Y at preamp, second output with current limit resistor, etc.) I want to make sure it will drive both before I build this. Thanks! :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The G3X version exhibits about 1kΩ output impedance. Thus its wise not to put it drive less than 10k combined input impedance power amps. In such a case its good to up the value of Co from 2.2uF to 6.8uF-10uF too. For retaining original infra-bass response & phase. The cathode follower unity gain version exhibits 250Ω output impedance.

Today I installed in my system the 6v6 salas preamp.the preamp is not mine,actually is the prototype.Amplifier is Leben cs1000p with genalex reissue kt66 tubes.speakers are diy salas bliss.What a sound!amazing!I must build one very soon!my system has never sounded like that before.Bravo Nick!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: 4 users
Today I installed in my system the 6v6 salas preamp.the preamp is not mine,actually is the prototype.Amplifier is Leben cs1000p with genalex reissue kt66 tubes.speakers are diy salas bliss.What a sound!amazing!I must build one very soon!my system has never sounded like that before.Bravo Nick!
Hi to everybody. I started to read this 3d years ago, up to page 10 more or less. Then stopped self building audio gear Now i come back and there are 245 pages!!! Whow!. It's great! But can somebody update me on the last agreed circuit and schematic. I'm an old folk, so i will stick to tube unregulated B+, and point to point, but I'm very curious to finally build this preamp and need to know about last news!
Thanks to anyone updating me!
@Salas you started it and been here all this time! Fantastic!!! Thanks!!!

Reactions: 3 users