• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

I can tilt it 45 degrees and sink it or lay it down or even offset to the right to wards input. I was going to attach to case, but that has been frowned upon. One of those Oh s^$% moments. The DN's will have a single 3/16" plate between them. You said you dont rectify both secondaries, so do you split before or after prefilter. I assumed dual pre flters. I will be using dual sshv2's assuming i get first one stable and working. Could dual rails be used with seperate filters? Sorry to clog thread. I wish I could delete many post.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The 317 for the heaters will dissipate enough also. That one can go to chassis, no HV. Still needs insulation. I used mid tap secondary for rectifier tube so that one goes to common cathode along 5VAC heating because 5RGY etc. are DHD rectifiers. Single or dual mono back to the wall power even you can do, depends on testing first and spending afterwards mind set. So it was Tx with mid tap, tube rectifier, CLC, mono reg.

Hopefully the 6v6 will be occupying this case today or tomorrow. I always finish the amps and never the enclosures to contain them, so this time I worked in reverse and finished the case first.

Attachments

• DSC_0062.JPG
    DSC_0062.JPG
    726.4 KB · Views: 915
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ah, you forgot to mention the importance of having a few very good 'files'
and for aluminium you need a 'special' file ;)

btw, if you want to polish aluminium, use fine wet sanding paper, but 'sand' dry, no water, then it polishes
same thing with wood, but with a bit of oil

but the shape I think is always a very difficult choice

ah, you forgot to mention the importance of having a few very good 'files'
and for aluminium you need a 'special' file ;)

btw, if you want to polish aluminium, use fine wet sanding paper, but 'sand' dry, no water, then it polishes
same thing with wood, but with a bit of oil

but the shape I think is always a very difficult choice

I assume you mean a mill file for the angles. All me cases are going to look like this, so i will refine my craft. I heard chalk keeps them from getting clogged.

Saw and sand. 6061 aluminum. Sanding works great on flat surfaces, but i will try file on 45's next time. Should help keep corners crisp. Laquer or engine enamal for protection and final finish. Laqer all sides of wood go protect against warping and expansion.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Impressingly cool case Buzzforb. Mine is still on the breadboard, I'm working on a DC supply for the heaters from the 6,3 V winding. I also changed to a GZ34 for B+ feeding so now I have 400 V to play with for the SSHV2.

I As for The Gun Club I will never forget a set with the then pretty flamboyant, now late Jeffrey Lee Pierce at The Ritz in Stockholm. With The Nomads as starting band i think. Beginning/mid 80s it must have been.

Best regards
Staffan