• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I use it most of the time. The question was if opting for 6BW6 for vibration resistance, would it be as safe as for dissipation and long life too?

Attachments

• 6bw6b.jpeg
    6bw6b.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,028
  • 6bw6pdfdetail.gif
    6bw6pdfdetail.gif
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,027
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It could, but the dissipation should be much higher than 6V6 class which is already nicely linear in triode. Fat older ST bottle (Coca Cola style) 6V6 tend to sound mellower and be more ringy in this application. In power amps the output transformer ratio extinguishes the voltage gain into current transformation so microphonic behavior its not noticeable.

Attachments

• 6V6Triode.gif
    6V6Triode.gif
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,069
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Has been discussed in the thread's start. 6V6 was only the beam tetrode Yankee reply to the Eindhoven extra grid patent, they are same class different taste. At 5W dissipation in my preamp I would still argue pro American tubes bigger envelope in this class. 0.0048% THD+N in Gregory's CF and -120dB to -143dB 20Hz-20kHz noise floor in post #231 is not a particularly disappointing result anyway.

Certainly no complaints on my end. I concur with the characteristics between the coke bottle and straight glass. Found an old Delco 6V6GT in my tube box that checked out fine. Has a bit more in your face feel. May order a few Tungsol ST's for fun.

I do have a couple of the small tube mentioned earlier. May have to play with that in the next day or so.