• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6V6 line preamp

Just ordered matched quads of Tungsol. I couldn't find info on whether it was dnt or not. Must admit only looked at JJ datasheet, which is limited. Don't know if there is some other indication as I am a newborn. Since I will be getting Mills, how about PRP or kiwame. Not real expensive.

Salas,

Is this the final schematics for your 6v6 linestage. Someone gave me this schematics and pointed me to this thread - he said it's a killer preamp. Thanks

6v6linepresm.jpg

Perhaps an appropriately designed CLCLC (PSUD can help here) will suffice, but that last filter cap should be probably be a very high quality film cap.

I'm re-evaluating the whole regulator thing in the light of recent experience.

Kevin,
Care to expand your comment reguarding recent experience. Was your recent experience pro or con regulator?

My experience with regulators has been nothing but positive till I do something stupid with them.

Last edited:

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I've been using gas regulators tubes on my 26 preamp for convenience and beauty, but the SS shunt regulator is quieter. The tube regulator still gives me a "whoosh" type of noise. It's not bothering me, but it's not like the SS shunt regulator which gives you that "black" background.