Wiring the transformer to the Tubelab SE - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Tubelab

Tubelab Discussion and support of Tubelab products, prototypes and experiments

Old 2nd March 2010, 06:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wiring the transformer to the Tubelab SE

It would probably be self evident if I knew what I was doing, but I'm not sure exactly how to wire my transformers to the Tubelab SE. I'm using type 45 tubes and an Edcor XPWR-131 transformer.

This thread here: Tubelab wiring explains how to wire a Hammond transformer up, but the wire colors are all different.

Here's the pinout for the XPWR-131: http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/blog...or-xpwr131.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 2nd March 2010, 07:30 PM   #2
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
The yellow wires are the 5V rectifier heater winding (TI-2 and TI-3). Same as Hammond.

The brown wires are the 6.3VCT winding (TI-7 and TI-8). The white/brown is the center tap (TI-6). Hammond uses green.

The HT winding colors are a little goofy. The white wire is the HT CT, which goes to TI-1. Hammond is red/yellow. Which pair you pick for TI-4 and TI-5 depend on if you are using 45s or 300Bs. For 45s, use the black/red and white/orange pair. For 300Bs, use the red and orange pair. Doesn't matter which one goes on which terminal.
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:18 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I should also point out that Edcor doesn't always use the exact same colors every time for these custom jobs. Look carefully at the label that came with yours to make sure it is the same as mine and adjust accordingly.
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'll make sure I double check everything before I wire it in. Thanks for the help!
Old 3rd March 2010, 03:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I checked the sticker it came with, and the colors do indeed match up.

If it wouldn't try everbody's patience too much, can I confirm how I should hook up the CXSE25-8-5k OPTs? Does the B+ need to be connected, or do I just need to connect the plate and screen? The common output from both OPTs should be run to the ground cable on the power cable as well, correct?

Last edited by blue lander; 3rd March 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 3rd March 2010, 03:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The primary connects to the PCB. The red wire goes to T2-1 and the blue wire to T2-2. The secondary is wired to you speaker jacks as appropriate.
Old 4th March 2010, 01:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I wired the transformers up last night, and to my great surprise it actually seems to be working! I fully expected it to leap up and murder me when I plugged it in, but I was able to check B+, B- and the filament voltages and everything looks okay so far. I only had one pair of mini grabbers, though, so I stopped after adding the rectifier. I'm going to pick up another pair today and continue check out. Thanks for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tubelab.jpg (57.0 KB, 492 views)
Old 5th March 2010, 12:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I got my mini grabbers, plugged in the 5842's, and powered the thing up. After a few minutes, I start smelling something burning. A few seconds later, smoke starts billowing out from R3. Damn, and I was doing so well. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?
Old 5th March 2010, 01:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

A shorted tube filament or maybe a short at the socket. R3 is a series resistor that leads to the 5842 heaters. If it still measures OK, try plugging the tubes in one at a time. Are you sure you have the right value resistor there? It should be 2.2ohms.
Old 5th March 2010, 01:43 AM   #10
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

If my math is right, at 2x300 mA filament current, the 2.2 ohm resistor will dissipate almost 800 mW. It should be at least a 2 W type, though, a 3 W or 5 W would be preferred. Is it possible that you used a 0.5 W or 0.25 W type? That would cause the resistor to get rather cranky and emit smoke after a bit.

~Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!