• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pictures of your Tubelab amp

My Tubelab SE!
Amp sounds great. Very happy with the project

9b1b2b2e.jpg

4f0f5bb4.jpg

Debra

Last edited:
Can you tell me more about what you did with it?

Obviously separate power supply, is that to reduce hum?

Chassis? Did you build that from scratch or buy it somewhere?

What are you driving it with?

Thanks

Yes, separate power transformer to reduce hum. I would have done more PS components on the PS chassis, but the PCB makes things convenient to leave them in the main chassis. I had umbilical connectors & cable laying around so what the heck.

I built both chassis from scratch using a mill and a table saw....and planer, pop-riveter, lacquer sprayer, bead-blaster, etc etc......only took about 430 man-hours ;).

I have a couple of preamps including an Aikido; lately I've been using an Anthem Pre-1.

A few details:

Power transformer is an Edcor XPR-131 with it's endbells stripped and painted with hammer tone Rustoleum.

I took the pics with a GZ37 rectifier in place; I'm presently using a 5AR4, but I'm going to pop in the GZ37 once I'm comfortable everything's in it's happy place.

James 6123 transformers on the 5K tap, James 5H choke, JJ 300B's

100uf ASC motor run bead-blasted, in parallel with a 180uf/500V Panasonic TS-UP mounted on the board. I also made a separate board to hold snap-in style bias supply caps since they were a little tall for the chassis. They are mounted to the sidewall under the hood. C1 is a 4.7uf.

It's presently set up with 360V/70ma on the 300B's. I plan on playing around with the 3.5K transformer taps etc.

Any pictures of under the hood?

Also, how do you reach the bias trimmers?

The same way everybody else does.....;) I considered topside taps and pot adjust, but it would be a fair bit of additional work....and the taps would be at B+ voltage :redhot:

The dangling ground wire in the pic is leftover from an extra RC stage in the PS that was used to burn some volts when using a Hammond transformer. I removed the stage when I went with the Edcor.

Attachments

• Tubelab SE bottom.jpg
    Tubelab SE bottom.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 2,366
  • Tubelab SE inside.jpg
    Tubelab SE inside.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 3,129
Tubes finally came in the mail today....To say I couldn't be happier is an understatement. When I first noticed this amp I thought to build it point to point. Since I was using George's circuit, build manual, and shopping list I figured I owed him something...so I bought a board. Well, once I had the board in hand I couldn't resist just using it....Glad I did. The build was straight forward and the results so far are great....

Attachments

• DSC01070.jpg
    DSC01070.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 2,227
  • amp 002.jpg
    amp 002.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 2,188
Tubes finally came in the mail today....To say I couldn't be happier is an understatement. When I first noticed this amp I thought to build it point to point. Since I was using George's circuit, build manual, and shopping list I figured I owed him something...so I bought a board. Well, once I had the board in hand I couldn't resist just using it....Glad I did. The build was straight forward and the results so far are great....

Very Nice! What species of wood? How do you do the corner joinery? Do you run the assembled miter through the saw with each side 45 degrees off of the table?