• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Pictures of your Tubelab amp

Hi Guys,

That's my amp. That picture was taken before I built the base. Here's a link to the finished result:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It is a hybrid design - a hand built tubelab SE (no circuit board) and a mercury vapor tube power supply. The OPTs are ElectraPrint. Jack made them for me and they are marvelous. This amp is by far the best one I've built. It's amazing. All the credit goes to George's Power Drive idea. I have it driving a pair of Zaph Audio ZRT's that I built. Wonderful speakers as well. I also have a tubelab SE with George's circuit board that I use in my office. It is a very good sounding amp too.

(Unfortunately I've never been successful linking pictures.)

Best regards,

Guys,

It's a tubelab SE amplifier with a mercury vapor rectifier power supply instead of the usual power supply as designed in to George's board. I did that just for fun and for something different. From a cost standpoint (it costs a lot more) and probably a performance standpoint it probably doesn't make sense because the power supply probably doesn't have that much effect. But because it looks cool and uses mercury vapor tubes (because I just wanted to use some) I like it and it was a good challenge to do the panel design and build. It certainly sounds better than all my other amps and I have quite a few. Most of the quality of this one is due to George's amplifier design and the OPT's. The amplifier portion is pretty much exactly the same as a tubelab SE. The 417A/300B filaments are DC but use different regulators (2). The power supply is pretty much standard fare for MV tubes. Something similar can be found in Pete Millet's Unnecessarily Complex Amplifier. That was a portion of the inspiration for this amp too.

So it's a mix of a tubelab SE with a much different power supply.

Regards,

hi guys,
finished my spp build, sounds great with FH3's.
gonna need help with measurement will post on other thread.
thanks george did what i set out to do ,build a tube amp and learn some on the way.
simon

Attachments

• IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 1,636
thanks chris,
i have some polished sheet brass for the top cover. the rectifier is a JJ GZ34
but earlier pic is a 5U4G which i did'n't use.

actually, it if wasn't for cramped spacing and heat issues, and the input cap value, the 5U4G would look pretty on the finished chassis

there's something "pinup" pretty about that shape

betty-grable.jpg

or

seagrass_b.jpg

yikes, those show my age

Last edited:
There was a thread complaining about Edcor's choice of "any color as long as it's blue" end bells a while back. I really wanted to say "but I like blue."

actually it's the sticker and painted logos I could do without

for those who'd like to custom paint their own (and keep originals for refit to stock), they do now offer raw end bells as accessory

EDCOR Electronics Corporation. DIY Bargains

My Edcor end bells just came today.....

for those who'd like to custom paint their own (and keep originals for refit to stock), they do now offer raw end bells as accessory

Not only that, but the Edcor VC-125 end bells happen to fit my Hammond 273BX transformers perfectly.

I ordered a couple of pairs of Edcor end bells and the plastic bushings to "upgrade" my hammonds, mostly to get rid of the excess varnish, the knock-out holes, and the overall flimsy Hammond bells. They bolt right up, no mods required.