Threadjacking

Excellent link! I'd never seen the aluminum boat demo before; that's really cool. It's just the sort of thing an illusionist would use, leaving everyone SWEARING there was no way he could have done that, he even let them examine the apparatus before and after the trick...

At the risk of going on-topic, the excellent dielectric strength of SF6 compared to air found a use in the classic Dayton-Wright electrostatic, a bizarre combination of brilliant and goofy engineering.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty darned cool. The differential characteristic (bag) in the box provided a nice damping effect. If we are speaking about the same speaker. One was done in bag as well. Are you speaking of the entire box being filled to a neutral pressure level, behind the diaphragm? (ESL)

Hey Sy, did I win the free energy thread arguement?

Attachments

• mcgrath.jpg
    mcgrath.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 127
The D-W had the panel entirely enclosed in an SF6-containing bag. That allowed very, very high bias voltages. The problem was that the top octave was MIA, so they clomped on a cheap Motorola piezo tweeter to cover that range.

When you receive your Nobel for overturning the well-established and ridiculously well-confirmed laws of thermodynamics, get back to me about that free energy stuff, OK?

KBK/Ken (and everyone else)-

I owe you , and all those that read our exchange above an apology. I took exception to your point of view, and lashed out at you personally..for that I am truly sorry.

I injured my hip in a fall just short of 2 weeks ago, and between the pain (lots), the pain meds (lots), and the realization of just how long it is going to take to heal, I have been a jerk.

Keep swimmin' against the current.

-Casey

My daughter broke her leg before Christmas and will be in a cast until after school returns in February. I'd be lying if I said my attention hasn't been divided.

It's always worse when it's your kid.

If a 240 lb. Weight (me) falls 3 feet (give or take a few inches, the height of my belt), and all the force is concentrated to a .75”x1.5” piece of stainless steel (the folded up Leatherman attached to the belt) on ice, what would be the force of the blow?

I'm not sure I wouldn't have been better off taking a blow from a peening hammer. No bone broke, but the cartilage lining my hip socket was crushed, and the sciatic nerve was smooshed as well (I personally have added an “11” to the daft 1-10 pain scale). I graduated from crutches to a cane today, so it is healing, but it could be months before it fully heals..if ever.

If you wear anything on your hip (pager,cell,knife,whatever), I would suggest you consider the potential damage you can do to yourself if you ever landed on it. My Doc told me that this is a fairly common injury, and he has seen a pager literally shatter the joint.

-Casey

Ouch. All that force..concentrated in one spot. Hope it heals soonest. Medical situations in the 'developed world' concentrate around the idea of patentable, created products, and do their darnedest to ignore and put down any natural cures,as these things are unpatentable, uncotrollable and obviously..against their commercial intrests. It is very likely that something out of the herbal world might speed the process along. I have recently looked into 'jiogulan'as a herbal tea for cancer issues re chemo. It seems to have a marked effect on the correct balance and flow of blood,and seems to have a record for increasing platelet count. I think it may have nerve regeneration considerations as well. There are many others.

The problem is separating the wheat from the chaff..and the fact that many of these herbal cures work, but the exact mechanism is not clear and has never been studied in a technical trial or similar fashion. This leads to the immedate poo-pooing by the scientific offices that front for the drug company's interests, in a way similar to the connections of the oil companies to 'organizations' that have slammed the idea of global warming.

The other problem, is that there can be toxins attached to the plant or whatever source of the herbal remedy. Dosage and sensitivity must be thoughtfully monitored. If you think I'm saying I have nearly zero faith in the drug and medical industry..you'd be right. I'll let them fix a broken bone, tooth, etc.. but I won't go much farther than that.

Consider or at least look at the herbal side of things. You might be very suprised. It's not bad science..it's literally thousands of years deep. Their 'clinical' trials.... have been done over thousands of years on billions of people, so they can't be called foolish, or weak in their correctness of investigation or application.

As for the medical industry....they'll never look at it under any circumstances..as it is impossible to get a person to look at something clearly when their life, income, family, and way of existence itself...depends on their remaining blind to a given thing. they (drug companies)will steal advantage from it when and where they can, and have been known to many a time to investigate harbal cures and even attempt to slam patents on existing known herbal cures via labratory manipulation of a given compound. This, in an attempt to create a very tightly controlled and expensive substance, from a nearly free and known product..this, at the same time they spend huge amounts of money trying to turn away people from the very herbal cure..they have stolen from.

Specifically speaking..the United States is now on record as having THE most expensive medical cure and care rate....combined with the WORST cure and health rate (expressed as a ratio).

That should speak volumes to people in the US, if such was actually reported to the people on the streets.

Be prepared to dig deep.

Ouch. All that force..concentrated in one spot.

Your telling me brother.From my Moto-X days, my stint in the USMC, and my adrenaline addiction in general in my youth..I have not been kind to the ‘ol bod. The list of “greatest hits” include breaking both of my wrists..twice, breaking an ankle, a “clay shoveler’s” fracture in my neck, three ruptured discs in my back..one requiring surgery, and various other “minor” sprains etc.. Absolutely nothing that I have been through before is even in the same league, as far as pain is concerned, with this injury.

There simply is no magic bullet available in conventional, or alternative medicine..unless you know of something that will cause spontaneous growth of cartilage…time is my medicine. The good news is that I seem to be over the hump. I have been able to move around, yesterday and today, with little pain compared with what I have been dealing with. I suspect in a month or so it will be little more than my own private weather station, warning me of the impending rain :D

-Casey

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Casey,
Well, I'm now attending a course on pain control since the medical industry can't find a cure. At least they are honest about it.

This world is not perfect. They can't fix everything and most times they don't know enough of the why. It's not for lack of trying on our medical communities part. No secrets, no withholding of secret cures. Also, keep in mind that herbs and other natural healing are tools. If misused they can easily kill you.

-Chris

Chris-

Well, I'm now attending a course on pain control since the medical industry can't find a cure.

OK..I'll quit whining now. Sounds like your dealing with a chronic issue, while mine is a clear case of cause (pinning the siatic against the pelvis) and effect (owie). Mine will go away..sounds like you are less lucky..I'm sorry to hear that.

Also, keep in mind that herbs and other natural healing are tools. If misused they can easily kill you.

Yep..the problem with herbal remedies is the lack of control for potency. Whether the chemicals come from a foul tasting pill, or a foul tasting herb..the dose is critical.

-Casey

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Casey,
I've met people worse off than I am. Some of those people have your problem.

I actually came home early today. One of "those" days. Good luck with your recovery. Keep a good mood and help as many people as you can. That's the best medicine.

-Chris

dfdye said:
The CLASSIC herbal "cure".

Just remember, clinical trials exist for a reason. Even if you think. . . . Modern scientists often have an annoying way of finding out things about systems once they are subjected to rigorous scrutiny.

The unspoken part that I may be a fault on, is I'm not saying:

I'm making reccomendation for taking a look, by hopefully intelligent people who don't put strange substances in their bodies without a solid amount of investigation, and the result of that reviewed with a sober and clear mind. Be careful out there..but it is also wise to remember where medical science gets a notable number of their interesting new compounds and thinking, in some areas.

I will look at the doctor's information and data, and listen congently to their hypothesis and reccomendations on some things, and follow their answers to the letter, for the most part. But I will question them on everything. I require full understanding before I either do something to my body at their direction, or consume a given substance. No blind faith, here.

I take the same ideas to the herbal world. I have little knowledge of the herbal world in terms of specific substances, I'm just beginning to explore it. It is vast. Which is why I find it so intriguing.

Basically, I require nor accept any gods or blind faith. I step forward under my own power and thinking.

Researchers condense entire image into single photon

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Researchers condense entire image into single photon

A team of researchers has managed to find a way to store a large amount of data in a single photon of light. Although the first stored item -- an image of the characters "UR" -- implies that the inventor was a 13 year old girl dealing with an extremely low text messaging limit, the image was in fact intended to signify the institution which developed the technology, the University of Rochester (either that or it's the shortest example of the "UR IN MY ... " meme that we've seen in the while.) Apparently the system works because "instead of storing ones and zeros" (a la binary code), the team has figured out how to store an entire image in a single photon, which sounds sort of impossible to us. Funny, because that's exactly what John Howell, the leader of the team said about the system. One of the key components of the process is the particle-wave duality nature of light: by firing a single photon of light through a stencil -- we presume one heckuva small one -- the wave carries a shadow of the image along with it at a very high signal-to-noise ratio, even with low light levels. The light is then slowed down in a cell of cesium gas, where it is compressed to 1 percent of its original length. This is where the storage aspect of the device comes in, as the researchers hope to be able to delay a single photon almost permanently, resulting in a device that can store "incredible amounts of information in just a few photons": an enticing thought for a world currently satisfied with a maximum of 1TB hard drives based on physical platters. A pity then that the world is completely distracted by the potential for "Photon on photons" jokes that this throws into the ring.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Howell has so far been able to delay light pulses 100 nanoseconds and compress them to 1 percent of their original length. He is now working toward delaying dozens of pulses for as long as several milliseconds, and as many as 10,000 pulses for up to a nanosecond.

http://www.physorg.com/news88439430.html

Entering the age of en-light-enment..

Superluminal light

Bringing light to a standstill is not the only effect that a laser-manipulated atomic gas can have on a light pulse. Last year Lijun Wang and co-workers at the NEC Research Institute in Princeton, New Jersey, pushed the speed of an electromagnetic pulse to greater than the speed of light in vacuum by passing the pulse through a chamber filled with caesium gas (L J Wang, A Kuzmich and A Dogoriu 2000 Nature 406 277). Superluminal propagation was previously observed in independent experiments by Steven Chu at Stanford University in the US, Vladilen Letokhov of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Troitsk and Ray Chiao of the University of California at Berkeley.

In the Princeton work, the researchers illuminated a 6 cm long cell of caesium atoms with two pump lasers that were at slightly different frequencies and both tuned somewhat away from an atomic resonance (see No thing goes faster than light by Aephraim M Steinberg Physics World September 2000 pp21-22). A refractive-index profile with a slope opposite to that in figure 3 was obtained. When a carefully tuned probe pulse was then fired into the medium, its speed became greater than the vacuum light speed. In fact, the pulse appeared to come out of the medium 60 ns before it entered!

However, Einstein's general theory of relativity was not violated because information - due to quantum-mechanical fluctuations - cannot be carried faster than the vacuum light speed, even by the superluminal light pulse

http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/14/9/8

-Casey