U.S/UK TV shows

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ScottG said:
It looks fantastic! :)

Unbelievable speed with design & construction for a VERY complex shape. I'm betting that 50 pence a (quality) cut doesn't seem so absurd now. ;)

In the words of Cleaveland from Family Guy:

"This is gonna be tight y'all!"

BTW: If you haven't seen Family Guy, watch it. Easily the best thing to come out of American TV since Futurama.

For the past few seasons I've really enjoyed Two and a Half men. I'm not big on toons (even though they are not really cartoons at all), there is just something about them doesn't "click" for me. ..well, there was that one "worms" episode of Futurama that I enjoyed.

I generally prefer sci-fi shows like Stargate. But I also like Veronica Mars - so I'm "flexible".

This makes me wonder how much and how quickly our TV market hits your shores?

*VERY* little brit. TV makes it in the US. There are of course rare exceptions like American Idol as a spin-off (..and I can't stand that cr@p - but then again I tend to think of "reality" TV in any form as one of the prophetic signs of the apocalypse). We also get a bit of BBC on our public broadcast station - but that has so little viewership its a joke.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
edjosh23 said:
Family Guy, very good.

Futurama.... no thanks, I don't think it was much of a hit here in the US.

Personally Seinfeld (proud owner of every episode available) and Family Guy are perhaps my favorite TV shows of all time.

Josh

Keep ya Seinfeld! Watched a few minutes of it and wanted to destroy the TV. American TV programming seems to more pravalent over here than in the US, which is a good and bad thing IMO :) Seinfeld, Friends, Joey, Fraser, Dharma and Greg etc. being the bad and Family Guy, Battlestar Galactica, 24, Lost and Alias being the good.

Futurama is tailored to a specific generation, I'm guessing your either late teens or 30 something? Eitherway its Groenings best work. Simpson is a bit hit and miss, some episode are classic(usually the ones revolving around Chief Wigham) or just plain bad(usually the Marge or Lisa centric ones).

Battlestar Galactica - there is a "sleeper" of show.

First few episodes were a little, "eh".

Watch a few more and your thinking.. "this isn't half bad".

Watch a few more and your like - "d@mn this is intense".

(..and then of course you have a full blown addiction :D )

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ScottG said:
I generally prefer sci-fi shows like Stargate. But I also like Veronica Mars - so I'm "flexible".

Same here. SG is OK, prefer the newer Atlantis but I've really enjoyed watching Battlestar Galactica and the now defunct Enterprise in recent times. Lost had me hooked for the first season but it seems to be chasing its own 'look I'm clever' tail in season two, will still watch the 3rd season when it arrives though.
24 and Alias(now cancelled) have both ran out of steam. I mean, just how many more near death experiences can Bauer take and still be interesting?

Big fan of the most of the Startrek series, Voyager is probably my fav and didn't like DS9 at all.

This makes me wonder how much and how quickly our TV market hits your shores?

Usually around 4-6 months behind for the big shows. Longer for the lesser ones.

I tend to download the programs as they hit the screens in the US. Normally the day after the show as aired, you'll find it on the p2p networks such as bittorrent and ed2k. So I follow the stuff as you would really rather than waiting for them to air in the UK.

*VERY* little brit. TV makes it in the US. There are of course rare exceptions like American Idol as a spin-off (..and I can't stand that cr@p - but then again I tend to think of "reality" TV in any form as one of the prophetic signs of the apocalypse). We also get a bit of BBC on our public broadcast station - but that has so little viewership its a joke.

A shame that you sample only the programs that even we hate, god only knows what you think if we're judged by the reality TV rubbish that's so so prevalent over here at the minute. Reality TV horse show jumping, pop star, ice skater, Jungle cr@p and god only knows what else have all been regular fixtures for prime time TV over here. It just makes me die a little inside when I see that sort thing.

With classics such as the Office(not the poorly remade US version), The Extra's, Little Britain, Doctor Who etc. getting shelved or shoved to the back to make way for this reality TV programming or poorly made US 'comedies'. We've never had the really good US sci-fi/comedy shows at peak viewing times, they're normally put on really late such 12midnight and onwards or in the afternoon on a Sat or Sunday.

I kinda horde my favourite shows, I've got a 1.5Tb raid partition for them and hi-def material. If I'm interested in something then you bet I have every season complete and upto date. :)

ShinOBIWAN said:

Keep ya Seinfeld! Watched a few minutes of it and wanted to destroy the TV. American TV programming seems to more pravalent over here than in the US, which is a good and bad thing IMO :) Seinfeld, Friends, Joey, Fraser, Dharma and Greg etc. being the bad and Family Guy, Battlestar Galactica, 24, Lost and Alias being the good.

Futurama is tailored to a specific generation, I'm guessing your either late teens or 30 something? Eitherway its Groenings best work. Simpson is a bit hit and miss, some episode are classic(usually the ones revolving around Chief Wigham) or just plain bad(usually the Marge or Lisa centric ones).

Futurama...... I'm 18, but I just don't find it that interesting or funny. Seinfeld is something my family always watched and I grew to like it even more, watching reruns as much as possible. What made you want to destroy the TV?

Josh

ShinOBIWAN said:

Keep ya Seinfeld! Watched a few minutes of it and wanted to destroy the TV.
Seiny rules. You've severely misjudged, the same as I did when I was first forced to endure a few episodes. I'll forgive you this time, but do not speak ill of it again or I'll be aiming for the trash-post button ;)

I like American Dad that follows the UK broadcast of Family Guy too.

Alias had some promise when JJ Abrams was taking care of things after which it wasn't as clever from season 3 onwards. Thankfully he started Lost. 24 is also excellent and suprisingly they've managed to stretch the premise into several seasons. I try to watch a whole season at a time in a few days. Brilliant.

Just starting Prison Break now.

I always picture benny hill and falty towers to be the main brit-origin US captives. And I'm sure the Offive was big too.

Oh the embarassing ones that I've wached but probably shouldn't admit to: Desperate Housewives, Smallville, The O.C (am I trying to lose respect here?) and Ed.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Vikash said:
Seiny rules. You've severely misjudged, the same as I did when I was first forced to endure a few episodes. I'll forgive you this time, but do not speak ill of it again or I'll be aiming for the trash-post button ;)

Yeah! Seinfeld rules!

I try to watch a whole season at a time in a few days. Brilliant.

I did that with seasons 1 to 3 for 24 and it makes the story really flow.

Just starting Prison Break now.

Prisonbreak was pretty good, definitely a cliff hanger at the end of the season. Looking forward to season 2.

I'd also forgotten about Invasion which I also greatly enjoyed and looking forward to season 2. Kinda like an X-files meets V.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Big fan of the most of the Startrek series, Voyager is probably my fav and didn't like DS9 at all.

A shame that you sample only the programs that even we hate, god only knows what you think if we're judged by the reality TV rubbish that's so so prevalent over here at the minute. Reality TV horse show jumping, pop star, ice skater, Jungle cr@p and god only knows what else have all been regular fixtures for prime time TV over here. It just makes me die a little inside when I see that sort thing.

WOW! :bigeyes:

I love the startrek series (but by no means am I a "trekie"), but I felt *exactly* the same as you. Absolutely loved Voyager and strongly disliked deapsh*t 9. Which is somewhat oddly perverse because deapsh*t 9 seemed to have WAY to many seasons on air - especially in contrast to Voyager that was cut after what couldn't have been more than 6 seasons. I'd swear that our TV rating system must be totally FUBAR'ed.

I'd love to see the brit. version of the Office (..I can't stand the American version). I love the droll british sarcasm and "deadpan" delivery that only british comedy seems to be able to provide. In fact its for this reason that I still have not seen the latest Pink Panther movie - in my mind I just don't see Steve Martin being able to deliver the lines and I don't want to soil my memory of Peter Sellers performance.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
ScottG said:

WOW! :bigeyes:

I love the startrek series (but by no means am I a "trekie"), but I felt *exactly* the same as you. Absolutely loved Voyager and strongly disliked deapsh*t 9. Which is somewhat oddly perverse because deapsh*t 9 seemed to have WAY to many seasons on air - especially in contrast to Voyager that was cut after what couldn't have been more than 6 seasons. I'd swear that are TV rating system must be totally FUBAR'ed.

Voyager ran for 7 seasons. I personally thought it was better than Generations.

I agree that the ratings have cut short many a great show... Futurama and now Invasion :(

I'd love to see the brit. version of the Office (..I can't stand the American version). I love the droll british sarcasm and "deadpan" delivery that only british comedy seems to be able to provide. In fact its for this reason that I still have not seen the latest Pink Panther movie - in my mind I just don't see Steve Martin being able to deliver the lines and I don't want to soil my memory of Peter Sellers performance.

There's also a comedy written by the same fella's who did the Office (Ricky Gervais & Steve Merchant) called 'The Extras'. Its in much the same vein but centered around a talentless and desperate movie/TV extra with aspirations of becoming something bigger. What makes the show is the fact that they've got folks like Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Stiller, Patrick Stuart, Kate Winslet and other big names to star in what is effectively a show about idiots. It works brilliantly I think. Hopefully you get to see that in the US.

I guess we get a little more Brit TV in Canada... Stuff I particularly enjoyed: The Goodies, The Young Ones, Scrapheap Challenge (OK, that was mostly shown as Junkyard Wars), Rough Science, Escape From Experiment Island (worst show title ever?), Full Metal Challenge. Stuff that hasn't (AFAIK) aired here, but can be found as torrents and such: Monkeydust, Bottom, Filthy Rich and Catflap, Dirty Sanchez.

As for American stuff, Lost & Prison Break are the two series I'm following, though almost entirely via torrents, since widescreen and no commercials are good things. And I've been enjoying older HBO miniseries like Oz and Six Feet Under via torrents and rentals. And, revisiting Miami Vice and er Wonder Woman on DVD. And of course South Park, Simpsons, Futurama, & Family Guy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.