John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
It's pointless trying to reverse engineer the photos to get the mythical $20 filter.
If anyone did so then tried it - and it had no effect - they'd be told they'd done it wrong.
A fraction of the time that's been spent saying "no point in sketching a circuit with some part numbers, no one would build it" could have been spent providing a quick sketch of the required info. Then, if some of us built the same thing, we'd have results that we could usefully compare. That's how science works...
The ac here is very quiet though - fairly rural, and as I run an emc lab it's monitored too.

Meanwhile, after a quick search, I can't find two suitable (which includes likely to be actually safe, and adequate VA rating) transformers on eBay for anything like $20.

To resume the situation.
At least 4 people here (including-me) had tried this kind of filter. More if we include people that had experienced to battery power their sources.
They all noticed and/or measured improvements in their system.

And this is well known and used by a lot of people all over the world, including in the professional area, since decades. The causes and effects totally explained, perfectly understood according to the established laws of physics.
The negative effects of the pollution in the AC is so well known than even the law sets a maximum allowed threshold of AC pollution for an electrical device to be authorized.

The usual 7 naysayers, never never listened, never measured, never even seen one of them.
They are drooling on the floor, joking about-it with the same old jokes, making, as usual, a lot of noise.

If they existed, their behavior closely resembles the one described in the tribes about trolls.

But trolls do not exists, right ?
So I have just a question: Who is totally mulish and stupid ?

Last edited:
so clearly real engineering doesn't matter to the glom and peek crowd.

You can say that again, for instance Self is cited with no details, no quantifiers, just the distortion changed that's what you hear unless of course you don't.

I've been there more than once when the so called "metadata" gets gathered. Sometimes it's a joke, but it all gets counted. As for getting out more the -130dB distortion crowd should hang out in the Pass Labs forum.

Last edited:
The usual 7 naysayers, never never listened, never measured, never even seen one of them.

Fine so can I say certain folks never submit their listening impressions to any test where they might be wrong or totally inconsistent in their impressions? I don't make stuff up why do you? Maybe I should post again my measurements of the RLC based "hi-end" equalizer that has +-3dB level dependent frequency response aberrations. I listened, measured and yes I said nay.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
If I am designing an amplifier... that is the point in which I care and measure the PSRR.

The noise generated by equipment used in the home on the ac line can be filtered out for those people not doing circuit design or modifications.

I think that is very clear. So, No, I'm not going to talk about that alternative. Yes, it is good way also. So is battery power. But tell it to the amp designers and mfr. This is for those who can build a simple DIY line filter as an alternative.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Speaking of DIY … I gave the people in Bangkok Damir's power amp design to make one for me. Here's is how it turned out ---> 0.001% THD at rated power. High SR. CFA topology.

DamirMarsh PA.jpg

They do top quality work. I would recommend them to anyone needed the best build quality. Made all the amps and high end power products for Monster's distribution. Can't wait to listen to a pair of them driving my M2's. OMG.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
So your contribution was the branding and the price tag. Nice DIY job.

Good luck with the sales and I hope Damir will receive some generous royalties.

THx. They do better work than I could do. Besides, I have an IN with them. I was thier CEO, chosen by the investors, for several years and still have office there and help them when ever I can.

Marsh is a reg brand name for many years in Asia region.

THx-RNMarsh

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Antek 50VA toroids are $17.50 each, brand new. Perfectly adequate for powering a CD player, linestage, DAC, or phonostage.

link

So 2 of those and some other filter components make a $20 unit? :)
Does a toroid meet the requirements RM posited? I didn't think so - I thought it needed a split bobbin type, but - that's the point. What's the spec, at least as a starter.
And - is this just to power a dac, or a whole system? I'm not clear what was being suggested - I think the monster device discussed is big enough for an amp...
Either way, yes we could all play around, but it's much more useful, and better science, to all try the same device in the same way...

This is actually so true that it ain't funny anymore. Notably the boutique stuff from the minimalist signal path camp is affected.

Yes, like a Blowhard with virtually 0 (zero) PSRR by design.

Ok so the challenge is on, make something audiophile will actually BUY that has PSRR. Can't do that? Then you're these comments are worth half a digested peanut in some elephant poop.

Instead maybe you should be looking at WHY they buy the stuff you scoff. Nothing changes that is where the market is at. And a lot of these guys are clearly a hell of lot smarter than the people in this thread since they can spend $150k on stereo gear every year.

I just asked you to do yourself what you ask to others.
You cannot compare apples to nothing.
You can not say that a medicine does not work for you if you have not swallowed the small blue pills.
You are talking of something you never tried, just for the pleasure of the contradiction, as always.
You have not measured the difference with it vs without, not tried to even listen to it. Nada.
"Nothing would still be exactly Nothing."

Same answer than the one i made to KSTR: If you are fully satisfied with your perfect system, what the hell are-you doing in here ? Oh, yes, I forgot: nibble Mr. Marsh's ankles, whatever the subject.

Can you image if Waly had a g/f (I know, a stretch) and she asked him what he thought of an outfit? :rolleyes:

- I have no RF pollution from the AC plug at the speaker terminal
- I don’t see any symptoms of “ground currents” at the speaker terminal.
- I don’t know many things, one of them being how to reduce HD and IM by removing a whatever amount of Nothing at the speaker terminal.

I’ll look for your precious help in my next life as a stork nesting on top of a radio station antenna pole.

RF doesn't show up as pollution typically. In order for it to do that it would have to continually modulate till it made it into the signal path before active circuitry. It doesn't do that. But what does happen is it abberates the signal.

As for getting out more the -130dB distortion crowd should hang out in the Pass Labs forum.

I thought the FirstWatt projects weren't very low PSRR?

Status
Not open for further replies.