What is the real reason to avoid class A power amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why does this readership not exclusively use class A power amplifiers? This is one of those questions that is so basic that I’m almost too scared to ask.

Some ground rules for this question:-
I’m only considering this specific readership, i.e. audiophiles
I’m including DIY amplifiers
Exclude battery powered equipment
Exclude micro power devices
Exclude devices regulated by energy saving legislation

The textbook reason for overlooking class A is efficiency. It may only be 30%. A class D type may be say 95%. The difference is 65%. For a decent amp of 100W, the difference is clearly 65W. That is the equivalent of a common bulb that you have in your toilet. When listening to your favourite ABBA tracks, you might put on more mood lighting than that. A high end amplifier might cost £3000, and some individual valves retail at £100/pair. Considering the economic demographic group that audiophiles belong to, I cannot accept that electricity consumption /component cost is a factor in amplifier class selection.

I’ve recently been reading a very good book on human psychology in order to explain why I do all the stupid stuff I do. Apparently, as a social species, we do as we are told. The marketing people tell us that AB then D type amplifiers are more efficient, therefore better. The best is of course class T which would substantially differentiate that supplier from the mundane others. “Always seek the more complex” seems to be the direction of travel.

Why then exclude As? Are people slaves to the marketeers? If you’re comfortably off, accept the extra consumption and love the simplicity of class A. Why ever not..?

I love class A sound but compromise by using a current dumping design, which has higher power output and the same sweet sound without the massive current consumption. I could build a 100 or more likely 50 watts class A amplifier no problem and I could afford the electricity to run it. The reason I don't is that it would be big and as I live in a normal size house I dont want the extra heat.

My Audiophile Reason To Avoid Class-A?

Why does this readership not exclusively use class A power amplifiers?
Why then exclude As? Are people slaves to the marketeers? If you’re comfortably off, accept the extra consumption and love the simplicity of class A. Why ever not..?

I'm not avoiding class-A. Why not exclusively use class-A? Money and/or quality.

I have calculated that with class-A amplifier I need to pay at least $15 per month for the electricity bill. This is based on the "on" time (almost 24x7 for me) and the power wattage of the amp...

I have learned from experience that for an amp to be able to give that "impact" (with standard speaker), the amp has to be "rated" at least 60W. This is very high for class-A. I have only built the Moskido amplifier, that falls within this power criteria (Next is Aleph-J, around 30W)...

That's for the money. Now for the quality. Even with sensitive speakers, simple class-A amps have trouble in bass area due to low damping. This triggers fatiguing distortion, faster than the fatigue due to 2nd order distortion, which is not small in class-A amplifiers...

Basically I choose based on specifications, not whether it is class-A or class-X. So far, no class-A amplifiers (within my reach) fulfills my criteria. (No other classes either hehe). There is the Extrema 100W class-A, but from the threads that I follow, it is not 100% stable. I don't know with the PGP, I don't easily trust amplifier designers :p

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
That's for the money. Now for the quality. Even with sensitive speakers, simple class-A amps have trouble in bass area due to low damping. This triggers fatiguing distortion, faster than the fatigue due to 2nd order distortion, which is not small in class-A amplifiers...
Jay there's a lot here that I don't agree with, but that aside what about push-pull class A with feedback?

I think Class-A's bass response is affected a lot by the woofer choice. Depends on the impedance curve and efficiency of the woofer, bass can be surprisingly good with Class-A. Class-A would not be the first choice for who prefer very tight bass, though.

BTW, SE Aleph's DF is high, but it is still sensitive to the impedance load.

Aleph current source has that feedback resistor that when removed turns the amplifier into a common SE amplifier (less damping but sound cleaner).

The problem with "old" Aleph amps is the input transistor (IRF610). The input capacitance is still not low enough to make a good treble.

Damping is equivalent of Zout. Output impedance of a Mosfet is an inverse function of its transconductance (1/gm). There are better Mosfets (higher gm) than the stock IRF240. Input capacitance is less an issue in a source follower configuration.

Aleph-J is where the input stage has been improved from IRF610 to a JFET. In my implementations I have used better mosfets than IRF240.

Are some people confusing Class A (which can be push-pull followers i.e. low impedance output) with simple single-ended collector/drain outputs (which must be Class A, and have high impedance output without feedback)?

Other things being equal, a Class A push-pull follower output is likely to have lower output impedance than the corresponding Class AB version.

It has been my understanding up until now that a class A amp dissipates max power at all times regardless of the volume it is playing at.

Consequently the Pass amp mentioned by the OP draws 750W not peak but permanently.
Also it is a monobloc so you will need two of those equalling 1500W.
If you play your music at 'normal' levels say around 1W per channel those amps have the same effect as a 1.5kW space heater. Not something I'd like to endure during summer.
On the plus side the louder you play it the less waste heat is produced.
(Btw these Pass amps cost about $20 000 in the US per pair)
I'm currently using 1.7kW of amplification in my stereo, if I would replace my amps with class A jobs I might as well move into a finnish sauna permanently.

What is the real reason to build class A power amps?

just reverse the question with below answer:
- class A schematic is simple, easy to understand.
- other amplifier topology like class ab is complicated
- remember that A is the 1st letter, being the 1st it should be superior to next one :D

I think Class-A's bass response is affected a lot by the woofer choice. Depends on the impedance curve and efficiency of the woofer, bass can be surprisingly good with Class-A. Class-A would not be the first choice for who prefer very tight bass, though.

In My experiences.. My firstwatt does a better job of Bass than a decent (US designed /built) Lm3886 Gizmo managed and Far better than a Paired set of Arcams, which were Claimed as AB.
No need to mention the Farty bass from my Meshplate SE 45 contraption.
One Does need 'quality' highish eff speakers though.
Can't soar like an Eagle if surrounded by Turkeys :D

Reason for avoidance? Dunno, fear of the unknown..superstition perhaps?
For decades I thought they were Flea Power affectations, more heat than sounds.
Reality is markedly different; Exquisite sound reproduction at the expense of warm heatsinks is proving a V small price.
Power is 7 cents a watt hour where I live.
My espresso machine uses more power than My amp does.. by a Lot.
Unlikely one could even Warm let alone heat their room..Mine can't.
IMO anyone who leaves their Amp on 24/7 has issues beyond their pore Audio system.. simply not credible.

I would have tried A decades ago.. if not constrained by my naive beliefs.
One can easily lead a horse to water... good luck with the rest tho.

Last edited:
My firstwatt does a better job of Bass than a decent (US designed /built) Lm3886 Gizmo managed and Far better than a Paired set of Arcams, which were Claimed as AB.

Audio is full of subjectivity. I call it preference. "Better job of bass" or "better bass" is subjective. Some people prefer high fidelity, which is rather objective.

IMO anyone who leaves their Amp on 24/7 has issues beyond their pore Audio system.. simply not credible.

Some of us really like to listen to music. Nothing wrong with 24/7. But I leave my 40W soldering iron on 24/7. Now that is not credible :D

I would have tried A decades ago.. if not constrained by my naive beliefs. One can easily lead a horse to water...

I have used class-A more than 2 decades ago... I was also constrained by my naive beliefs... hehe just kidding :D

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Here it's closer to 40c, depending on the time of day. Most expensive in the world, some say. It's not like everything is expensive, electricity here is a financial enigma. Maybe the vast network of poles and distance, maybe the recent privatisation of some of the network, maybe the outlandish thoughts of selling the poles to the chinese. A person wants to go out on their own and follow the wind, sun, geothermal...

The UK is around 16p per kWh, that's ~22cents
Some of the reason for the extra cost is the ~9% extra charged to pay the subsidy to persuade the Greenies to build and commision the evironmentally friendly wave/wind/water power.

I pay 10.31p per kWh from a UK supplier who only buys from renewable sources.
Green & cheaper = win/win

As for amps mine are AB but once and almost by accident I had a lengthy phone chat with the amps designer and these amps run the first 20W or so in class A. So you could say they are 20W class A amps with an additional 12dB headroom before clipping.

Last edited:
The same line of reasoning applies to other things. I'm mulling a copper tubing permeability FM receiver with tubes and with big coils and PCB's, contrarily to the enormous majority of varicap and synthesized minute FM tuners. This is the RF tuned circuit, still under development.

Attachments

• FM Tuner Mecha 0E.JPG
    FM Tuner Mecha 0E.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 161
  • FM Tuner Mecha 0F.JPG
    FM Tuner Mecha 0F.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 149
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.