The Weather

Boston Marathon went well today despite some of the worst April weather in decades. It's pretty crummy here, but at least it's not snowing (any more). Low 40s, wind driven rain, lots of wind. Your basic mild end of the spectrum Nor'Easter.

I can't remember an April worse, there were freak storms but this consistently nasty weather is unprecedented.

Mother nature has gone off her meds and become quite bipolar. Thursday, Friday and Saturday were sunny and far warmer that usual (low 80's F). Green things are beginning to turn a bright shade of green and I mowed almost 2 acres of yards Friday. The rain came yesterday, and lasted until about 3 PM today with lots of local flooding and the Ohio river at flood stage. After about 2 hours of calm......its snowing. WTF?

Things seem to be getting back to normal here, the cold easterly gales we had over the winter did a lot of damage to the tender evergreens, we often have winters where I am with little or no frost. They've had a very wet and cold winter in Iberia, I wonder if that is in some way connected with the weather you've been having in Canada and America?

Pearson Airport = nut house, stuck on planes for hours = eek.
Must have had to rig up the plows again, finally went by today at 11:00. Friend came over and parked on the road, saying no way in hell for my drive, only 4x4. Neighbour had to hire a plow to get out. Need bananas :) start up the 4x4 for trip to the store tomorrow.
Wondering when I should start to sow my seeds for spring? :)

Washouts in a huge number of NJ spots -- rained "like a cow peein' on a rock" -- then the sun came out for 2 hours and temps got up to 67F!

Doan Brook in Cleveland flooded badly around Case Western Reserve University and mud everywhere. The canal and Cuyahoga River crested their banks -- but you could see this coming ten days ago. My mother used to relate that the Cuyahoga River basin flooded every year in the 1930's

It moved on to rain today, but still really cold, and SERIOUSLY hard rain. As Kevinkr said, harsh day for the Boston Marathoners (a few of whom are friends I haven't spoken with yet). Cold rain is expected to continue until mid-week. Meanwhile, my basement gets wet in this kind of weather, and since my electronics workspace is there, I won't be doing much on tube projects for a few days. Notice how I brought it back to diyaudio...

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Is it just me or is that a bloomin' cyclone forming along the southern coastline?

Getting lots of lightning and windblown rain here, gonna shutdown and weather it.

Attachments

• 001-diyaudio.jpg
    001-diyaudio.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 139
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Well that wasn't a bad afternoon storm, had some hail, powerlines got struck several times and someone down at the local park got struck or frightened and there had to be an ambulance called. The "low" in the satellite image above is just a tropical low dissipating as it comes from the west coast.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Fortunately we won't be getting another ice age for some time. At least 25-100 thousand years away (at most 50,000 years if you don't count for the fact that we have dumped tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, 7x more than the last PETM event). That doesn't mean however that the closing of the gulf stream wont change things in the north in the short term causing a mini ice age in the short term.

It will get extremely cold for the next decade for the northern hemisphere and then once all of that ice being dumped into the oceans is absorbed it will get really hot.

From PBS:
YouTube

YouTube

Unfortunately our own addition of CO2 into the atmosphere means that we are going to be experiencing extremely hot weather, eventually.

Dumping tons of CO2 into the atmosphere was the right thing to do during an ice age unfortunately we are not yet in another ice age, that is 25-100,000 years away. So we had the right idea but the wrong timing. Our second human made PETM event was far too early and far too severe.

What does this mean? It means that we are in for extreme hot weather events like that on Venus (But not as extreme), what we are experiencing right now is merely the north and south poles melting and temporarily cooling the planet.

Once those permafrosts start to melt however its going to get even worse and even more extreme.

The right thing to be doing right now is to be preparing yourself and your family for extremely cold and wet weather events occurring very rapidly and moving towards more new evolving temperate climates away from the coastlines (with lots of humidity). But in a few decades those temperate climates will become too hot and you will have to move back to colder regions.

This cold and wet weather events that we are all experiencing is temporary. I would be staying where you are right now (Maybe even moving to warmer regions) and in say 30-50 years time moving North for Northern Hemisphere people and South for me.

That is my take on it regarding information taking from those two youtube videos that I've posted.

Bonus video: YouTube

Last edited:
Hi,

Reading the latest posts makes me feel like I'm living on a different planet. We had the hottest April for years, the temperature climped to 30C this week!

It's difficult to sweep the whole thread to know if this was mentioned before. I was fascinated by this Little Ice Age - Wikipedia and this Timeline of volcanism on Earth - Wikipedia and all the associated links. An aspect of the history quite unkown to me! It seems we don't have much control even for the worse...