NYC Bans Halloween, Birthdays, Aliens and More on School Tests

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can't mention anything but they get a gold star for every wrong answer "because they tried". Then they join the real world and failure is, well failure. No good service done.

This is part of the world where no one is ever at fault, somebody else has to pay for everything. " and the people got fat and grew lazy, and their vote was a meaningless joke".....

Barmy!

Let's say you belong to a group which does not celebrate birthdays. You still need to know what other people mean by 'birthday', and your school should be able to test you on this. What it should not do is set questions which assume you know what it is like to celebrate a birthday, as you may never have had that experience.

Mention of dinosaurs should not offend any creationists because the fossils definitely exist, even if they differ on what they signify.

I suspect that the people behind this have not bothered to talk to the groups concerned. Most sensible religious people know that others see things differently, and are often more offended by the foolishness of political correctness than by other people's faith. I speak as a member of a religious minority.

And here in lotusland (BC, Canada) a joung woman with albinism takes a complaint to the (so called) Human Rights Comission. We have the Earls chain selling Albino Rhino Beer for 25 years (longer than the woman is alive). She feels discriminated!
So much for thanks beeing allowed into this country as a refugee!
Are there smilies that shake their head? E

Where will we be in 100 years at this rate? 2112 is fast approaching.....

dead is the answer. I seriously doubt we can keep our **** together for another 100 years. Prior to weapons...microorganisms were the only real threat to humanity (yea sure there were wars and such)...but now we develop deadly diseases and weapons that can wipe out humanity without a second to spare. There is no way in hell humans can progress psychologically in 100 years so as to not do themselves in. I'd bet on it if I could live that long. Not that I would want to.

dead is the answer. I seriously doubt we can keep our **** together for another 100 years. Prior to weapons...microorganisms were the only real threat to humanity (yea sure there were wars and such)...but now we develop deadly diseases and weapons that can wipe out humanity without a second to spare. There is no way in hell humans can progress psychologically in 100 years so as to not do themselves in. I'd bet on it if I could live that long. Not that I would want to.

...especially, when education is more and more improved such a way... It was in Middle Ages when knowing sciences was considered as heresy, now it is even grammar... In both cases, ten and now, religious feelings were being protected... What would you prefer?
I would prefer to better loose nuclear physics when common sense is available, than common sense when nuclear physics is available!

Regardless of what we are taught, we are still human. That's the problem :D

And may be it is a natural process, when society developed something up to saturation, fedback causes it to go back, oscillating? Like, in simple systems feedback causes education to stay on a stable level, but in complex systems it have to go down, due to instability of the system with multiple phase shifts?

Here's the full list of topics:
Full list of topics banned on NYC school exams - NYPOST.com

Honestly, it appears these topics are banned on tests, not from the curriculum.
I can't imagine formulating test questions about some of the topics anyway, but this is an example of political correctness gone too far...dealing with negative feelings in a constructive way is part of growing up. Some of these issues are the reason why the world is like it is. How can we improve things if our children don't understand the issues?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.